Exponential Distribution of Trigonometric Functions?

• Thread starter justin345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product and chain rules to differentiate e3x(3sin x-cos x) and confirms that the calculation provided by the original poster is correct.
justin345

Homework Statement

e3x(3sin x-cos x)

The Attempt at a Solution

e3x3(3sin x-cos x)+(3cos x+sin x)e3x=10e3xsin x.

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org

justin345 said:

Homework Statement

e3x(3sin x-cos x)

The Attempt at a Solution

e3x3(3sin x-cos x)+(3cos x+sin x)e3x=10e3xsin x.

Is that right?

I don't think so, at least not the intermediate steps.

Could you try distributing the e term first, and then take the derivative of the two resulting terms, using the chain rule on each?

OK, so let me then get rid of parenthesis. I will show you my intermediate steps.

e3x3sinx-e3xcosx=
3e3xsinx+e3x3cosx-(3e3xcosx+e3x(-sinx))=
10e3xsin x

justin345 said:
OK, so let me then get rid of parenthesis. I will show you my intermediate steps.

e3x3sinx-e3xcosx=
3e3xsinx+e3x3cosx-(3e3xcosx+e3x(-sinx))=
10e3xsin x

I'm not seeing the chain rule being used. Remember, it's the first term multiplied by the derivative of the second term, plus the second term multiplied by the derivative of the first term...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule

Also, you should be careful to distinguish between the initial terms, and the derivative that you are solving for. Write it like this:

(e3x3sinx-e3xcosx)' =

Or

d/dx(e3x3sinx-e3xcosx) =

I am sorry, I don't quite understand what you are saying. I performed chain rule to the best of my knowledge. I don't know what else to do.

Don't worry about berkeman's confusing, unclear, and not helpful post. Your work is quite correct, but it may help to use a few more steps until you have more practice.

product rule
[e3x(3sin x-cos x)]'=(e3x)'(3sin x-cos x)+e3x(3sin x-cos x)'
chain rule and difference rule
=3e3x(3sin x-cos x)+e3x(3sin' x-cos' x)
distribute
=e3x(9sin x-3cos x)+e3x(3cos x+sin x)
gather like terms (exponential)
=e3x(9sin x-3cos x+3cos x+sin x)
gather like terms (sine and cosine)
=e3x(10sin x)
final answer
=10e3xsin x

lurflurf said:
Don't worry about berkeman's confusing, unclear, and not helpful post. Your work is quite correct, but it may help to use a few more steps until you have more practice.

Sorry if I was confusing. Should I have been using the term product rule instead of the more general chain rule? It was the intermediate steps that I was trying to get laid out.

berkeman said:
Sorry if I was confusing. Should I have been using the term product rule instead of the more general chain rule? It was the intermediate steps that I was trying to get laid out.
Both rules need to be used in this problem. The product rule is used first, because the function is a product - e3x(3sin x-cos x). Then, to differentiate e3x, the chain rule is called for.

Does it mean that my calculation is correct?

Yes.

What is the meaning of "Distributing the e term first"?

Distributing the e term first refers to the mathematical process of multiplying the term e (a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718) by the terms inside a set of parentheses before multiplying them by any other terms outside the parentheses.

Why is it important to distribute the e term first?

Distributing the e term first is important because it follows the mathematical rules of order of operations, which dictate that parentheses must be evaluated first. By distributing the e term first, the expression is simplified and can be solved correctly.

What are the steps for distributing the e term first?

The steps for distributing the e term first are:1. Identify the terms inside the parentheses.2. Multiply each of these terms by e.3. Simplify the expression by combining like terms, if necessary.4. Multiply the remaining terms outside the parentheses by the simplified expression from step 3.

Can the e term be distributed first in any mathematical expression?

No, the e term can only be distributed first in expressions that contain parentheses. Additionally, the e term can only be distributed if it is being multiplied by the terms inside the parentheses.

Are there any exceptions to distributing the e term first?

Yes, one exception is when the expression inside the parentheses is already in the form of e^x, where x is a number. In this case, the e term does not need to be distributed and can be left as is.