What should the normalization condition be for an energy distribution function?

In summary: So, a) is correct. In summary, the conversation revolves around a person trying to simulate a physical theory on a computer program and they are discussing how to express the distribution function in terms of either velocity or energy. There is a confusion about the correct normalization condition, with one option being to normalize to the total number of particles and the other involving a substitution in the normalization condition. The expert summarizer suggests that the correct normalization is to the total number of particles and clarifies that g(E) = f(v(E)) is a definition, not the energy distribution itself.
LuisVela
Hello everybody.
I have the following problem:
I am given a Speed distribution function, f(v). This distribution is normalized to the total number of particles there are, that's equivalent to:

[tex]\int_0^\infty f(v) dv = n_0 [/tex]

(particles traveling away from my target are not considered.)Now. I know the following equation should hold:

[tex] \int_w^\infty v f(v) dv = \alpha [/tex]

where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a constant, and [itex] w=\sqrt{\frac{2e\epsilon}{m}} [/itex]. Here e is the charge of the electron, and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is another constant.

All this is part of the theory I am trying to simulate on my computer program.
The thing is, when I started my program, I decided to work with energies rather than velocities, so I have to express both, the normalization condition, and the equation itself in terms of my energy distribution function f(E).

Since energy and velocity are related as follow:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = eE[/tex]

(the energy is in eV)

Then,

[tex] dV=\sqrt{\frac{e}{2mE}}dE [/tex]

If you replace all the v's with E's and realize that [itex] f(v)=f(v(E))=f(E) [/itex], then you have:

[tex] \frac{e}{m}\int_{\epsilon}^\infty f(E) dE = \alpha[/tex]

I think until now I have got it correct.
Im just a little confused about what should [itex] \int_0^\infty f(E) dE [/itex] be normalized to. I mean...either:

a.) Since f(E) is also a distribution function, it should also be normalized to the total number of particles. [tex]\int_0^\infty f(E) dE = n_0 [/tex]

b.) If you perform the substitution [itex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = eE[/itex] to the normalization condition for f(V) you get the following:

[tex] \int_0^\infty \sqrt{\frac{e}{2mE}}f(E)dE=n_0[/tex]

which is not precisely what's written under option a.)...

Do you understand my dilemma?

Can anybody help me out ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not exactly understand what you are up to, but your energy formula cannot be right. On the left-hand side you write a scalar quantity, nonrelativistic kinetic energy, on the right-hand side a vector. That cannot match! For an electrostatic situation you have

[tex]E=\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^2+e \Phi,[/tex]

where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the potential of the electric field,

[tex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi.[/tex]

Be careful, f(v(E)) is not equal to f(E), because your function v(E) is not the identity transformation. Rather you shuld define g(E) = f(v(E)) and replace all your f(E)'s with g(E)'s.
This way the alpha-condition you wrote is correct, and the correct normalization condition is a).

@ Vanhees 71:
Hey!, thanks for your reply. But I still don't understand your comment.
[tex] \vec{v}^2=\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}\in R [/tex]
which is also a scalar.

I guess you misunderstood my no0tation (sorry for thta XD, my mistake). E is not the electric field. E is the total mechanical energy of the system. e, on the other side, is the charge of the electron.

@P. Mugver

Thanks for your comment.
f(v)=f(v(E)) is easy to understand. Now, it seems obvious to me that from there, f(v(E))=f(E) where f(E) is simply the velocity distribution function, expressed in terms of the energy.

If now, there would exist g(E) (energy distribution function function) then I am pretty sure a.) will hold. However, what I am not sure of is:

Does g(E) = f(v(E))?

Where g(E) is the energy distribution function, normalized to n_0, and f(v(E)) is simple the velocity distribution function expressed in terms of the energy.

g(E)=f(v(E)) is a definition, not the energy distribution, which is, instead g(E)dv/dE, and the normalization is the same.

What is a distribution function example?

A distribution function example refers to a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a random variable. It maps the possible outcomes of a random variable to their corresponding probabilities.

What is the purpose of a distribution function?

The purpose of a distribution function is to provide a mathematical representation of the probability distribution of a random variable. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the data.

What are some common types of distribution functions?

Some common types of distribution functions include the normal distribution, binomial distribution, and exponential distribution. These functions are commonly used to model real-world phenomena and can be applied in various fields such as statistics, physics, and finance.

How is a distribution function different from a probability density function?

A distribution function and a probability density function (PDF) are both used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable. However, a distribution function gives the cumulative probability for a given value, while a PDF gives the relative likelihood of a value occurring.

How are distribution functions used in data analysis?

Distribution functions are commonly used in data analysis to determine the probability of certain outcomes and to make predictions about the data. They can also be used to compare different datasets and to identify patterns and trends in the data.