1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution functions

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    A continuous random variable X has the cumulative distribution function
    F(x) = 0 if x < 1
    = 1/3 (sqrt(2x-1)) if 1<= x < 5
    = 1 if x >= 5

find the probability Density function

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The density function is simply the derivative of F(x). However, because F is discontinuous at x=1, mathematically speaking the density function does not exist. If you a little less fussy, you can have a delta function with weight 1/3 at that point.

Another way of thinking about it, is that the random variable isn't continuous,
    i.e. P(X=1)=1/3.

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    oooh !
    So if we were to find the prob X between 2 and 3, we would simply sum f(2) and f(3) and not do any integral stuff.
    (Because it's discrete and only has integer values)
    thanks very much

5. Oct 28, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The random variable has an "atom" (i.e. a point with P>0) at 1. It has continuous probability from 1 to 5, and 0 probability outside. If this is a homework problem, it sounds a little messy. Are you sure you've got the definition of F(x) correct?

6. Oct 29, 2004 #5
    Hi
    This was a past class test question, and unfortunatly there are no answers so one is only left to wonder whether they know how to do these sorts of problems or not.

The test is over and I don't think I answered the question to do with cumu. dist. functions correctly btu we can only wait and see next thurs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?