Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution of energy

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    i´m reading Landau´s mechanics and in the 4th chapter in the part disintegration of particles (16) i can´t figure out the following thing. We have a function T=(1/2)m(V2)+(1/2)m(v02) + mVv0cos(θ) , where V and v0 are constant in this problem. We also know the distribution of θ which is (1/2)sinθdθ. The goal is to get a distribution of T. Could you please explain to me how to get it? The book derives it in a way i can´t understand. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The trick is to understand what the distribution means - i.e. what would the "distribution of T" tell you, once you have it? What is the "distribution of ##\small \theta##" telling you?

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks, i went through it once more with your advice in mind and i finally understand it.

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done :)

The next step is to find someone who is struggling and see if you can get them to understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook