What is the solution for finding F1 and F2 when angles are not equal?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding F1 and F2 with given angles and weight. The solution using equal angles is mentioned, but the problem specifically asks for a solution when the angles are not equal. The concept of net force is suggested as a way to solve this problem.
Kalenz

Homework Statement

Hello, we were given homework, which is perfectly described by this picture. We should figure out F1 and F2 (it's number). I know that if the both angles are equal, it is easy to solve. However, now i should solve a situation when first angle (alpha) = 50 grades, the second (beta) = 25 grades - they are not the same
Furthemore, i know that weight of the man is 70 kg. We should find out F1 and F2.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t35.0-12/12544289_1209388075743534_1652378483_o.jpg?oh=701cd9f68eb6fc9e1d36dc4b134975b5&oe=56959F62&__gda__=1452709555_a73e61a8aedf3422f85bac6f7e38dc11

Homework Equations

of course Fg = m.g so Fg = 700N (approximately)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i know that if the 2 parts of rope are equals, it can be solve in this way : Fg/2 = F1 . sin alpha and both forces (F1 and F2) would be equal. However, i do not know what will happen if the angles are not equal

Thank you really much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fg/2 that's so .. let's say shady.. the drawing is really helping.. the dotted lines are a fantastic help, trust me... Have you tried the net force approach?

Hello, we were given homework, which is perfectly described by this picture. We should figure out F1 and F2 (it's number). I know that if the both angles are equal, it is easy to solve. However, now i should solve a situation when first angle (alpha) = 50 grades, the second (beta) = 25 grades - they are not the same...
There is no angle labelled beta in your diagram.

To handle this sort of problem, you realize that the sum of the forces is zero.
Start by resolving components for the forces along the rope sections.

1. What is the distribution of forces?

The distribution of forces refers to the way in which forces are spread out or shared among different parts of a system or structure. It is important to understand how forces are distributed in order to accurately predict the behavior and stability of a system.

2. How do forces distribute in a system?

Forces in a system distribute based on the principles of equilibrium and Newton's third law of motion. This means that forces will distribute in a way that balances out and cancels each other out, resulting in a state of equilibrium where the system is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. What factors affect the distribution of forces?

The distribution of forces is influenced by the geometry and material properties of a system, as well as the magnitude and direction of applied forces. The location and orientation of supports or connections within the system also play a role in how forces are distributed.

4. Why is understanding the distribution of forces important?

Understanding the distribution of forces is crucial for designing and analyzing structures and systems. It allows engineers and scientists to predict how the system will behave under different loading conditions, and make necessary adjustments to ensure safety and efficiency.

5. How can the distribution of forces be calculated or determined?

The distribution of forces can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles of statics and mechanics. Advanced techniques such as finite element analysis can also be used to simulate and analyze the distribution of forces in complex systems. Additionally, physical experiments and tests can be conducted to observe and measure the distribution of forces in a system.