Exploring Prime Number Density in Integers: Is There a Uniform Distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of prime number density and whether there is a relationship or pattern for determining the number of primes within a certain bound. The speaker mentions finding a proof for Fermat's last theorem but being unable to write it down due to a small margin. They also mention that progress in this area cannot be achieved through empirical study and cite a source discussing the relationship between the distribution of zeros of the zeta function and primes.
Winzer
Before I went to bed I had an idea about integers. Is there such thing as a prime number density? I just listed 1 through 50 and found that primes aren't uniformly distributed(that I noticed). Now by typical density definition the density should be the number of primes as a function of some bound over the space. Has anyone done work on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for prime number theorem.

Winzer said:
Has anyone done work on this?

The margin is too small to even begin to list them.

matt grime said:
The margin is too small to even begin to list them.
But does there exist a relationship that tells us exactly how many primes are within a certain bound?
Is there some complex pattern?

Funny you should say that I just found a remarkable proof of Fermats last theorem but my margin was too small to write it down.Now I have forgotten it.Damm.

That's exactly what I said when I sent in my paper to the Clay institute: the margin was too small but the proofs of all seven so called unsolvables are trivial--Do I get my money now?. They didn't take it to well.

It doesn't matter who you are, it'll be safe to say that many people smarter than you have spent the equivalent of many lifetimes of full-time study looking at the distribution of prime numbers.

Suffice to say that any progress in this area isn't going to come about from empirical study of their distribution.

Actually, the Fourier transform of the distribution of zeros of the zeta at +1/2 is equal to the distribution of primes and prime powers.

What is the distribution of primes?

The distribution of primes refers to the pattern or frequency with which prime numbers occur in the set of natural numbers. It is a fundamental concept in number theory and has been a subject of study for centuries.

How many prime numbers are there?

There are infinitely many prime numbers. This was proven by Euclid in 300 BC and is known as Euclid's theorem. However, the exact distribution or pattern of these primes is still a subject of ongoing research.

What is the prime number theorem?

The prime number theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the asymptotic behavior of the distribution of prime numbers. It states that the number of primes less than a given number n is approximately equal to n/ln(n), where ln(n) is the natural logarithm of n.

Are there any patterns in the distribution of primes?

There are some patterns and regularities in the distribution of primes, but they are not fully understood. For example, the prime numbers tend to become less frequent as numbers get larger, but there are also clusters and gaps in their distribution that are not yet fully explained.

Why is the distribution of primes important?

The distribution of primes has significant implications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science and physics. Understanding the distribution of primes can help us better understand the nature of numbers and their relationships.