Solving Composite Functions with Distributive Property

• Thread starter TheFabricator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving composite functions and the use of a plus sign in the equation. The plus sign can be written as a negative number, and there is no difference between subtracting a number and adding a negative number. The conversation concludes with the understanding of this concept.
TheFabricator
Hi All,

I am teaching my self algebra using khan academy and I've come across a problem I can't figure out. I am trying to solve composite functions and I can't figure out why a Plus sign is added to the equation, Could I be missing something that I am suppose to distrubute?

The functions is:

g(f(−1))=?

h(x)=4x+2

g(n)=n^3+2n^2−7n+5+f(n)

f(t)=3t−h(t)

f(−1)=−1

g(−1)=(−1)^3+2(−1)^2 + (−7)(−1)+5+f(−1)

where does this...Δ Plus sign come from?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
g(n)=n^3+2n^2−7n+5+f(n)
This can be written as
g(n)=n^3+2n^2+(−7)n+5+f(n)

Alternatively, you can drop your plus sign and write
g(−1)=(−1)^3+2(−1)^2 −7(−1)+5+f(−1)

mfb said:
This can be written as
g(n)=n^3+2n^2+(−7)n+5+f(n)

Alternatively, you can drop your plus sign and write
g(−1)=(−1)^3+2(−1)^2 −7(−1)+5+f(−1)

Ok thank you, But why can it be written that way? How does the plus sign get there from the equation. Can you expand on that or point me in the right direction on how to find out.

TheFabricator said:
Ok thank you, But why can it be written that way? How does the plus sign get there from the equation. Can you expand on that or point me in the right direction on how to find out.

There is no difference between substrating a number and adding a negative number:
[tex]
a - b = a + (-b) = -b + a
[/tex]

DrClaude said:
There is no difference between substrating a number and adding a negative number:
[tex]
a - b = a + (-b) = -b + a
[/tex]

Ah ok I understand now, Thank you

1. What is the distributive property and how does it apply to composite functions?

The distributive property states that when multiplying a number by a sum or difference, you can first distribute the number to each term in the sum or difference before performing the multiplication. In composite functions, the distributive property can be used to simplify the function by distributing the inner function to each term in the outer function.

2. Can the distributive property be used in reverse to solve composite functions?

Yes, the distributive property can be used in reverse to solve composite functions. This is often referred to as the "undoing" or "undoing the parentheses" method. By distributing the inner function to each term in the outer function, you can then combine like terms and simplify the function.

3. Are there any limitations to using the distributive property in solving composite functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the distributive property in solving composite functions. It can only be used when the inner function is being multiplied by the outer function. It cannot be used when the inner function is being added or subtracted to the outer function.

4. How can I check my answer when solving composite functions with the distributive property?

To check your answer, you can substitute the given value(s) into the original composite function and the simplified function. If the results are the same, then you have solved the function correctly. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both functions and see if they produce the same graph.

5. Can the distributive property be used with other properties, such as the associative or commutative property?

Yes, the distributive property can be used in conjunction with other properties, such as the associative or commutative property, to simplify composite functions. However, it is important to follow the correct order of operations when using multiple properties in solving composite functions.