Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Div curl black holes

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    What is the divergence and curl at the edge of a black hole?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Divergence and curl of what?

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    Whatever black holes continually suck into themselves continually

5. Jul 25, 2009 #4
    Did you tried to say something like " the linear momentum and angular momentum of a mass crossing the horizon of a BH"? For instance, divergence would be useful for studying if there are sources or sinks in a field (for a BH the divergence of the gravitational field is negative as usual).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  6. Jul 26, 2009 #5
    the div and curl of most things at the edge of a black hole is nothing special, since this is the event horizon.

7. Jul 26, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Div and curl operate on vector fields, not "whatevers". You need to specify what vector field for this even to be a question.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me recommend Schey's Div, Grad, Curl and All That.

8. Jul 26, 2009 #7
    Am I missing something? I really don't know anying about GR but to capture the black holeness wouldn't you have to work in 4-space. The cross product is not defined in 4 dimensions.

9. Jul 26, 2009 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook