Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Div(gradΦ) question?

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    Φ=3y12+2y22-3y1y32

Find: div(gradΦ).

I broke it down to find the partial derivative of all 3 coordinates y1,y2 and y3, so using the continuity equation:

y1=6y1-3y32
    y2=4y2
    y3=6y3y1

However, I'm not sure if this correct, would the first part give the gradient? Could someone confirm or solve this?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2
    what is the gradient of a function ? its the slope of the curve representing the function/

divergence also has a meaning in calculus.

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The divergence of the gradient of a function is also known as the Laplacian of that function:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator

What you have calculated so far is:

$$\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_1} = 6y_1-3y_3^2$$
    $$\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_2}=4y_2$$
    $$\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_3}=-6y_3y_1$$

or

##∇Φ = (\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_1},\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_2},\frac{∂Φ}{∂y_3}) = (6y_1-3y_3^2,4y_2,-6y_1y_3)##

The final step is

##div(grad Φ) = ∇ ⋅ ∇Φ = \frac{∂^2Φ}{∂y_1^2}+\frac{∂^2Φ}{∂y_2^2}+\frac{∂^2Φ}{∂y_3^2}##

(Note: edited to fix sign error in third term.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. Apr 3, 2016 #4
    Just to add, I believe you should get 10-6y1.

I think you forgot a negative sign there.

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5
    You wrote
    ##y_1=6y_1-3y_3^2##
    when you should have written
    ##\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial y_1}=6y_1-3y_3^2##.
    I don't know if you made a mistake in understanding or used a lazy abuse of notation, but you really need to avoid misuse of the equality expression. If you want to write it as a semantic pairing of the left and right, but not an equality, you are better off using a colon or comma, or making a table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted