1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Div v and curl v

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the div v and curl v of v = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2(xi + yj + zk)
    2. Relevant equations

div v = [itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]\cdot[/itex] v and [itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] v

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just confused and drawing a blank in basic algebra

Is it right to expand v like this

v = x-3 + y-3 + z-3(xi + yj + zk)
    = (z-3xi + z-3yj + z-2k)

is the right vector for v?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    [tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}\neq (x^{-3}+y^{-3}+z^{-3})[/tex]

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    There's your problem. Also, that's not really the right approach. Do you know what del represents?

5. Sep 21, 2011 #4
    The del operator so instead I should be using ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y)j + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]z)k??

6. Sep 21, 2011 #5
    Correct. Apply this operator to your vector [itex]v[/itex]. Are you having trouble understanding what this does to your vector?

And just as a correction to your OP, [itex]div(v)=\triangledown \cdot v[/itex] only; it is not equal to the dot product and the cross product. The curl is the cross product.

7. Sep 21, 2011 #6
    Yes I am struggling to apply this to my vector v? Is it right that I have to apply the product rule when applying the del operator to my vector?

8. Sep 21, 2011 #7
    So if differentiate with respect to x that is my ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i term is this remotely correct

u = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
    u' = -3(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2
    v = xi + yj + zk
    v' = 1

then using the product rule

(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2 - 3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(x + y + z)

Then I add in with respect to y and z or is the completely off track?

9. Sep 21, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is meaningless, u' is not defined for u a function of more than one variable.

Pretty much. Do you not know how to take a partial derivative? I don't see any reference to partial derivatives!

10. Sep 21, 2011 #9
    Sorry what I meant was using the product rule to take the partial derivative with respect to x then y then z and then putting it all together and getting [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] v

That is
    the first term = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
    then we take the partial derivative of the first tems with respect to x gives
    = -3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2

Now the second term is (xi + yj + zk)
    and the partial derivative with respect to x is 1 so using the product rule the first and second term come together to give

-3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2 + (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

And doing the same by taking the partial derivative with respect to y and z then gives

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] v = (x + y + z)(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(-3x - 3y - 3z) + 3(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

Does that look right?

11. Sep 22, 2011 #10
    Not as such no... I got the divergence to be zero. Using straight vector notation here we have:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{v} = (\frac{\delta}{\delta x},\frac{\delta}{\delta y},\frac{\delta}{\delta z}) \cdot (x(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2},y(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2},z(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2})[/tex]

Your partial derivative with respect to x was different. I got an x2 in front of the term with power (-5/2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook