Diving Depth for 1/20 Atmospheric Pressure Differential

• Thread starter bpw91284
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: Yep, the fact that the atmospheric pressure cancels out is evidence that it doesn't matter in the first place. :smile:
bpw91284

Homework Statement

A diver with a snorkle can handle a pressure differential of 1/20 atmospheric pressure between his the oustide of his lungs and the inside. How deep can he dive? The water's density is 1025 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

P=P_0+pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed P_atm = 101325 PA and the density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3.

I came up with P_(outside lungs)-P_(inside lungs)=(1/20)P_atm

P(outside lungs) = P_atm + pgh = 101325 + 1025*9.8*h
P(inside lungs) = P_atm + pgh = 101325 + 1.29*9.8*h

Solving for h I got 0.5 meters... Just seems way to shallow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct; a diver would not be able to inhale through a snorkel at a depth of more than just a few feet.

By the way, you don't need to concern yourself with the pressure or density of the air. What matters here is the gauge pressure, which is the pressure experienced by the diver over and above that of the air he's trying to breath through the snorkel.

- Warren

chroot said:
Your solution is correct; a diver would not be able to inhale through a snorkel at a depth of more than just a few feet.

By the way, you don't need to concern yourself with the pressure or density of the air. What matters here is the gauge pressure, which is the pressure experienced by the diver over and above that of the air he's trying to breath through the snorkel.

- Warren

Just curious, how would you solve it differently then? In my solution the atmospheric pressures cancel out any way, so would your solution be the same as mine?

this may sound weird, but how or where did you get "101325" from?

louie3006 said:
this may sound weird, but how or where did you get "101325" from?

1 Atm = 101325 Pascals

This explains why when I tried to use one of those "noodles" (flotation devices for pools and lakes , mostly for fun not safety) which was about 5 - 6 feet long (Looks like a giant straw) I felt the air being sucked out of me no matter how hard I tried.

bpw91284 said:
Just curious, how would you solve it differently then? In my solution the atmospheric pressures cancel out any way, so would your solution be the same as mine?

Yep, the fact that the atmospheric pressure cancels out is evidence that it doesn't matter in the first place. :smile:

- Warren

1. How is diving depth affected by a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential?

The diving depth is affected by a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential because the pressure increases as you descend deeper into the water. At a depth of 1/20 of atmospheric pressure, the pressure on the body is equal to the pressure inside the body, making it difficult for a diver to equalize and continue descending.

2. What is the maximum depth a diver can safely reach with a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential?

The maximum depth a diver can safely reach with a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential depends on various factors such as the individual's experience, physical fitness, and equipment. However, generally, a diver should not exceed a depth of 33 feet (10 meters) with a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential.

3. How does the body respond to a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential during a dive?

During a dive, the body responds to a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential by equalizing the pressure inside and outside the body. This is done through techniques such as swallowing, yawning, or using specialized equipment like a pressure equalization mask. Failure to equalize can lead to discomfort, pain, and even serious injuries.

4. Can a diver safely ascend from a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential?

Yes, a diver can safely ascend from a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential as long as they follow proper decompression procedures and do not ascend too quickly. Ascending too quickly can lead to decompression sickness, also known as "the bends", which can be life-threatening.

5. What precautions should a diver take when diving with a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential?

When diving with a 1/20 atmospheric pressure differential, a diver should take several precautions to ensure their safety. These include proper training, using appropriate equipment, monitoring their depth and time, following proper decompression procedures, and always having a dive buddy. It is also important to know your own limits and not push yourself beyond what you are comfortable with.