Diver falling into swimming pool - forces

In summary, the average force exerted on the 88.0 kg diver as he falls from a height of 5.30 m into a swimming pool and stops in 1.94 s is 124 N. There was some confusion about the calculation of acceleration, with one person getting 1.41 m/s^2 and the other getting 3.42 m/s^2. The correct acceleration can be found by using the equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad, and then multiplying by the diver's mass to find the force applied on him.
Punchlinegirl
A 88.0 kg diver falls from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 5.30 m. It takes 1.94 s for the diver to stop after entering the water. Find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the diver during that time.
I found the acceleration to be 1.41 m/s^2 and then multiplied it by the mass to get 124 N. this wasn't right.
Can someone help me?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting a larger acceleration, what is his speed as he hits the water?

I got the a to be 3.42 m/s^2.
5.30= (1/2)a(1.94^2)
I don't think I did it right though...

He is falling under gravity's force at a rate of 9.8m/s^2 and it takes him 1.94 seconds from the moment he penetrates the water surface to the time he becomes stopped (under water), find his final velocity as he hits the water:

[tex] v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Then You can find the force appliedo n him by multiplying his mass by the average acceleration you found.

1. What forces are acting on a diver falling into a swimming pool?

There are two main forces acting on a diver falling into a swimming pool: gravity and air resistance. Gravity pulls the diver towards the bottom of the pool, while air resistance slows the diver's fall.

2. How does the force of gravity affect the diver?

The force of gravity causes the diver to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This acceleration increases the diver's speed until they reach terminal velocity, the maximum speed at which the air resistance and gravity forces are balanced.

3. What is the role of air resistance in a diver's fall?

Air resistance is the force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the diver, slowing their fall. As the diver falls faster, the air resistance force increases until it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

4. How does the depth of the swimming pool affect the diver's fall?

The depth of the swimming pool does not significantly affect the diver's fall. Since the force of gravity is constant, the diver will continue to accelerate until they reach terminal velocity, regardless of the depth of the pool.

5. Can the diver change their fall trajectory while in the air?

Yes, the diver can change their fall trajectory by adjusting their body position. By extending their arms and legs, the diver can increase their surface area and therefore increase air resistance, slowing their fall. By tucking in their limbs, the diver can decrease air resistance and increase their fall speed.