Diver questionim so confused

• Thread starter kjanem89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, a swimmer with a speed of 0.35 m/s is attempting to cross a river with a width of 75 m and a current of 0.40 m/s. Using the equations D= do+Vit+1/2at^2 and a^2+b^2=c^2, the time it takes for the swimmer to reach the other side is approximately 4.629 seconds. It is also important to note that horizontal and vertical velocities are independent of each other.
kjanem89
Diver question..im so confused :(

Homework Statement

A swimmer is capable of swimming 0.35 m/s in still water.
(a) If she aims her body directly across a 75 m-wide river whose current is 0.40 m/s, how far downstream (from a point opposite her starting point) will she land?
m
(b) How long will it take her to reach the other side?
s

Homework Equations

I think I could use D= do+Vit+1/2at^2
and a^2+b^2=c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

75=3.5(t)+t^2
t=4.629

3.5^2+0.4^2=c^2
c=3.5227

ahh.. I am so confusedddd

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Horizontal and vertical velocities are independent of each other.

Finding the answer to (b) first might prove easier.

:(

Hello there, it seems like you are attempting to solve a physics problem involving a swimmer crossing a river with a current. It's understandable to feel confused, as these types of problems can be tricky. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and tackling each part separately.

For part (a), you can use the equation d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the swimmer's velocity will be the combination of her swimming speed (0.35 m/s) and the river's current (0.40 m/s). The distance she will travel will be 75 m, as given in the problem. So you can set up the equation as 75 = (0.35+0.40)t. Solving for t will give you the time it takes for the swimmer to reach the other side.

For part (b), you can use the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) to find the distance she will travel downstream. The two sides of the triangle will be the distance she swims (0.35 m/s) and the distance the river's current carries her (0.40 m/s). The hypotenuse will be the total distance traveled downstream. So you can set up the equation as (0.35)^2 + (0.40)^2 = c^2. Solving for c will give you the distance downstream.

Remember to always keep track of your units and use the correct equations for each part of the problem. I hope this helps clear up some of your confusion. Good luck!

1. What is a "Diver question"?

A "Diver question" refers to a type of question that requires the respondent to think deeply and provide an in-depth answer. It often involves exploring various perspectives and considering multiple factors before arriving at a conclusion.

2. Why am I confused about "Diver question"?

Confusion about "Diver question" can arise due to its open-ended nature and the need to think critically. It may also be challenging to answer if one is not familiar with the topic or lacks the necessary information.

3. How do I answer a "Diver question" effectively?

To answer a "Diver question" effectively, it is essential to first understand the question and its purpose. Then, think critically and consider all relevant factors before providing a well-supported and thoughtful response.

4. What are some examples of "Diver questions"?

Examples of "Diver questions" can vary and depend on the specific topic or subject being discussed. They may include questions like "What are the long-term effects of climate change on our planet?" or "How can we address income inequality in our society?"

5. How can "Diver questions" contribute to scientific research?

"Diver questions" can contribute to scientific research by encouraging critical thinking and promoting the exploration of different perspectives. They can also lead to the discovery of new ideas and insights, ultimately advancing scientific knowledge and understanding.