Solving for Divergence and F=∇×A

• Thread starter jrenman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
But I think there is a more efficient way.In summary, A can be found by taking the cross product of F and a vector field B such that B = ⟨0, 0, P⟩, where P is a constant. This results in A = ⟨Pz, -Px, 0⟩.
jrenman

Homework Statement

A vector field F for which div F = 0, is called incompressible (also called solenoidal). Consider the vector field F(x, y, z) = ⟨y, x + y, −z⟩.

(a) (1 point) Show that F is incompressible.

(b) (3 points) Find a vector field A such that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]×A.

Homework Equations

div F = [tex]\nabla[/tex] . F

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do part a and confirmed that div F = 0 and thus is incompressible.
But I'm not entirely sure how to find part b.

Is there a cross product operation in which A = some combination of F and [tex]\nabla[/tex]?

Or would you assign A some arbitrary vectors [tex]\left\langle[/tex]P,Q,R⟩ and take the cross of those with [tex]\nabla[/tex]. Resulting in the vector
⟨y, x + y, −z⟩ = (dR/dy-dQ/dz)i-(dR/dx-dP/dz)j+(dQ/dx-dP/dy)k
and somehow solve for P,Q,R?

Or am I completely on the wrong track?

Any help or advice would be wonderful!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find P, Q, and R by trial and error pretty quickly since F is relatively simple.

1. What is divergence in terms of vector calculus?

Divergence is a measure of the flow of a vector field out of a given point. It is calculated as the sum of the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to their respective variables.

2. How is divergence related to the concept of flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. Divergence is closely related to flux, as it represents the net flow of the vector field through an infinitesimal surface surrounding a given point. In other words, divergence is the flux per unit volume.

3. What is the physical significance of a non-zero divergence value?

A non-zero divergence value indicates that there is a source or sink of the vector field at the given point. This means that the vector field is either converging or diverging at that point.

4. How do you solve for divergence?

To solve for divergence, you must first determine the components of the vector field and then take the partial derivatives of each component with respect to their respective variables. Finally, you add these partial derivatives together to get the divergence value at the given point.

5. How does solving for divergence relate to solving for the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field, ∇×A, is closely related to the divergence, as they are both measures of the flow of the vector field. In fact, the curl can be thought of as the "rotational" component of the vector field, while the divergence is the "expansive" component. These two calculations are often used together in vector calculus to fully describe a vector field.