Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence and solenoidal vector fields

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    I want to find which values of n make the vector field

[tex]\underline{F} = {|\underline{r}|}^n\underline{r}[/tex] solenoidal.

So I have to evaluate the divergence of this vector field I think, then show for which values of n it is zero?

Im starting by substituting:

[tex]\underline{r} = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]

getting..

[tex] \underline{F} = {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]

How can I extract

[tex]\underline{F_x}, \underline{F_y}, \underline{F_z}[/tex]?

It's probably really simple but I can't see it! Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    Yeah I was being daft, after sleeping on it I came up with:

[tex] \underline{F} = [{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}x, {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}y, {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}z] [/tex]

That's better, yeah?

so
    [tex] \underline{F}_x = {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}x[/tex]
    [tex] \underline{F}_y = {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}y[/tex]
    [tex] \underline{F}_z = {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2}z[/tex]

now
    [tex]\frac{\partial\underline{F}_x}{\partial x} = nx^2{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{(n/2)-1} + {(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}^{n/2} [/tex]

Hmm if n = 0 the first term is zero as required but the second term would become 1. So how can I find the values of n for which this is zero?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  4. Nov 29, 2004 #3
    Calculating [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{F}[/itex] should give you:

[tex]3(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{n/2} + n(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{n/2}[/tex]

Set that equal to zero and solving for n whould give you n = -3 as long as [itex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{n/2} \ne 0[/itex].

I think...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  5. Nov 30, 2004 #4
    Thanks, I was having trouble simplifying my expression for divF, knowing what I was aiming for gave me the confidence to proceed lol! Cheers,

Matt.

6. Nov 30, 2004 #5
    Following on i'm trying to find the value of [tex]\lambda[/tex] which makes

[tex] \frac{\lambda\underline{a}}{|\underline{r}|^3} - \frac{(\underline{a}.\underline{r})\underline{r}}{|\underline{r}|^5} [/tex]

solenoidal. Where a is uniform.

I think I have to use div(PF) = PdivF + F.gradP (where P is a scalar field and F a vector field)

and grad(a.r) = a for fixed a.

So when calculating Div of the above, there should the a scalar field in there somewhere that I can seperate out?!

I need some pointers please!

7. Nov 30, 2004 #6
    I don't understand what you mean when you say that 'a is uniform'. Fiddle around with the algebra and show me how far you get.

8. Nov 30, 2004 #7
    If this is wrong I can post my working (but its tedious to keep latexing my results!)

I get the expression down to [tex] \frac{(\lambda -1)a}{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

so could I just say that if [tex] \lambda = 1 [/tex] this would give "[tex] \underline{F}[/tex]" say to be zero which implies dF/dx, dF/dy, dF/dz are all zero so divF = 0 which means it is solenoidal?

Thanks for being patient.

edit** is the (lambda -1)a the scalar field P to plug into that formula?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  9. Nov 30, 2004 #8
    Where did you get that formula from? It makes no sense to me (i.e. you can't distribute an operator acting on different objects, scalars and vectors in this case). I know it's tedious to show your work but I can't really tell what your doing. For example, you obtained an expression which isn't even a vector!

10. Dec 1, 2004 #9
    sorry it was meant to be..

[tex] \frac{(\lambda -1)a}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{(\lambda -1)a}{|\underline{r}|^3}[/tex]

I forgot the 3/2 power which didn't make it a vector as you pointed out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?