1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence ( Calc III )

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Divergence Theorem to evaluate ∫∫S (8x + 10y + z2)dS where S is the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 1.

2. Relevant equations

∫∫S F dS = ∫∫∫B Div(F) dV

3. The attempt at a solution

I dunno, this isn't a vector field so I don't know how to take the divergence of it so I can integrate..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the X2 button above the advanced editing box for superscripts. Are you certain you have transcribed the problem correctly?

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    Yeah, I'm sure.
    have you ever seen something like this?

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As it is written it is just a scalar surface integral which makes sense and can be evaluated. The reason I asked is your relevant equation: ∫∫S F dS = ∫∫∫B Div(F) dV isn't written correctly; it should be [itex]\iint_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S[/itex] on the left. I just wondered if your original problem was mistranscribed. But, no, your original problem wouldn't have anything to do with the divergence theorem as it is written.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    Which is why it makes me curious that they asked me to use the divergence theorem.
    lol.. I dunno

7. Dec 12, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm curious too. Why don't you ask your teacher and tell us what you find out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook