1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence in p-adic metric

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    Why does the series of 1/n! diverge in the p-adic metric?In other words, how do I show that the lim of 1/n! (in the p-adic metric) does not equal 0 because it is >1

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems obvious to me -- can you find a lower bound on how many times p goes into n!?

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    No, but I am not sure how to show this. I know that every n has a prime factorization, and that as n increases, p will go into n more and more times. But what does this mean?

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

COnsider the subsequence 1/p!, 1/(p^2)!, 1/(p^3)! What is the p-adic valuation of 1/(p^r)! at least as great as?

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    The only answer to that question that makes sense to me is 1

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, how does the p-adic valuation of n! relate to the number of times p goes into n!?

How does that relate to the p-adic valuation of 1/(n!)?

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eh? (p^r)! how many times at least must p divide this? You can do better than 1, surely? find a multiple of 2 dividing 4! such as 4, one for 8! such as 8, what about 16!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?