1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of a series

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [tex](a_n)[/tex] is a sequence of non-negative real numbers such that the series [tex]{\sum_{n=1}}^\infty a_n [/tex] diverges. Prove that the series [tex]{\sum_{n=1}}^\infty \frac{a_n}{1+a_n} [/tex] must also diverge.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking about looking at [tex]l=limsup(a_n) [/tex] and perhaps the requirements on it in the root test in order to see if that could tell me something about the [tex]l=limsup \left( \frac{a_n}{1+a_n} \right) [/tex], but I haven't had much luck.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    Might it help to write

[tex]\frac{a_n}{a_n + 1} = \frac{a_n + 1 - 1}{a_n + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{a_n + 1}[/tex]
    ?

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    It's kind of a backdoor route, but I'd prove the contrapositive and use a simple comparison test.

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    Since [tex]a_n [/tex] is a non negative sequence can we assume that it diverges to [tex]+ \infty[/tex] so then [tex]1 - \frac{1}{a_n + 1} [/tex] diverges to [tex]- \infty[/tex]?

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    You're not correct with the limit of the fraction part, but that part isn't really important. What is [itex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty 1[/itex]?

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    Oo oops! It's the lim (1 - 0) = 1. But then wouldn't the sequence then converge to 1 rather than diverging?

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    It doesn't converge to 1.
    [tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty 1 = ~?[/tex]

What do you get when you add an infinite number of 1's?

9. Oct 22, 2009 #8
    Wow, tonight is not my night. haha

[tex]
    \sum_{n = 1}^\infty 1 = + \infty
    [/tex]

Great! Thanks!

10. Oct 22, 2009 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where did this assumption that an goes to infinity come from?

11. Oct 22, 2009 #10
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(1 - \frac{1}{a_n + 1}\right) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty 1 - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{a_n + 1}[/tex] should diverge whether or not an goes to infinity, no? If it doesn't go to infinity, shouldn't that make the series diverge "more"?

12. Oct 23, 2009 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except that if an is small, both series are wildly divergent and you can't make that split in the first place

13. Oct 23, 2009 #12
    hmmm. Is there another way I should approach this problem?

14. Oct 23, 2009 #13
    You can assume that [tex] \frac{a_n}{a_n + 1} [/tex] goes to 0 for n going to infinity, because if it didn't then the series would diverge anyway. [tex] \frac{a_n}{1 + a_n} = 1 - \frac{1}{1 + a_n} [/tex]. If [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 1 - \frac{1}{1 + a_n} = 0 [/tex] then we see that [tex] a_n \rightarrow 0 [/tex] as well.

For large enough n, [tex] (a_n)^2 < a_n \Rightarrow (a_n)^2 + a_n < 2a_n [/tex].

Play around with that inequality to get a lower bound for [tex] \frac{a_n}{1 + a_n} [/tex] so that the series for that lower bound diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook