Divergence of a vector field

• Thread starter jem
  • Start date
jem

Homework Statement

I attempted to solve the problem. I would like to know if my work/thought process or even answer is correct, and if not, what I can do to fix it.
I am given:

Calculate the divergence of the vector field :
A=0.2R^(3)∅ sin^2(θ) (R hat+θ hat+ ∅ hat)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equation I used was the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates:
The file is attached:

The Attempt at a Solution

The file is attached:
My final answer is 3.60.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

I attempted to solve the problem. I would like to know if my work/thought process or even answer is correct, and if not, what I can do to fix it.
I am given:

Calculate the divergence of the vector field :
A=0.2R^(3)∅ sin^2(θ) (R hat+θ hat+ ∅ hat)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equation I used was the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates:
The file is attached:

The Attempt at a Solution

The file is attached:
My final answer is 3.60.
What does your notation mean? What is ##\hat{R}##. What is the difference between ##\theta## and ##\hat{\theta}##, and between ##\phi## and ##\hat{\phi}##? I can guess, but why should I need to, and maybe my guess is wrong. Finally, which of the two common forms of spherical polar coordinates are you using? Some sources use ##\theta## as the polar angle (latitude) and ##\phi## as longitude, while others choose the exact opposite convention. Both appear in this Forum from time to time.

quiet
Hi. When a vector field is a function of the 3 Cartesian coordinates and time, for example in the case of an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum, can it happen that a divergence of 4 components appears, with the fourth component of the type
[tex]\dfrac{1}{C} \ \dfrac{\partial A}{\partial t}[/tex]
(A symbolizes some field of the wave)