Why Does Divergence of Electric Flux Equal Volume Charge Density?

In summary, the divergence of the electric flux density is equal to the volume charge density because the divergence measures the flow of a field out of a region of space and the del operator takes the gradient of the field, which measures the tendency of the field to diverge away in space. When we take the divergence of the electric flux density, we are measuring how quickly the tendency of the flux to diverge in a given space, which is equivalent to the volume charge density. Additionally, the vector \textbf{D} represents the electric displacement field, and the divergence operator gives a scalar value that is often called the electric flux density.
jeff1evesque
Question:
Can someone remind me why the divergence of the electric flux is equal to the volume charge density,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \vec{D} = \rho_{v}[/tex] (where [tex]\vec{D}[/tex] is the electric flux density).

Thoughts:
The divergence measures the flow of a field out of a region of space. The del operator takes the gradient of the field, which measures the tendency of the field to diverge away in space (or the opposite). So when we take the divergence of the electric flux density, we are measuring how quickly the tendency of the flux to diverge in a given space. But how is that the volume charge density? Isn't charge density entirely different from the divergence of the electric flux?
Thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that the differential form of Gauss's Law with free charge? You could get to that starting with the integral form of Gauss's Law and using the divergence theorem. You can't really prove Gauss's law, or at least I didn't think you could.

Here's how you go from the integral form of Gauss's law for free charge to the differential form.

[tex]\oint \textbf{D} \cdot d\textbf{A}=Q_{f}(V)[/tex]

By the divergence theorem:

[tex]\oint \textbf{D} \cdot d\textbf{A}=\int(\nabla \cdot \textbf{D})dV = Q_{f}(V)[/tex]

Since the [tex]Q_{f}[/tex] is just net free charge enclosed in the Gaussian surface, you can say that it's just the integral of the volume charge density.

[tex]Q_{f}(V)=\int\rho_{f}dV[/tex]

[tex]\int(\nabla \cdot \textbf{D})dV = \int\rho_{f}dV[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \texbf{D} = \rho_{f}[/tex]

nickmai123 said:
Isn't that the differential form of Gauss's Law with free charge? You could get to that starting with the integral form of Gauss's Law and using the divergence theorem. You can't really prove Gauss's law, or at least I didn't think you could.

To the contrary, the integral form of Gauss's law is easy to prove with Coloumb's law, and Coloumb's law can easily be arrived at from intuition. To begin, prove that Gauss's law is true for a sphere centered on a single point charge. Electric field decreases as the square of the distance and the perpendicular projection of the area subtended by a certain solid angle increases as the square of the distance, so the product of the two remains constant. QED.

Gauss's law in differential form is,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \vec{D} = \frac{\rho_{v}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

We also know [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_{r} \epsilon_{0}, \vec{D} = \epsilon \vec{E}[/tex] respectively.

So it follows [tex]\epsilon[\nabla \bullet \vec{E}] = \nabla \bullet \vec{D} = \frac{\epsilon \rho_{v}}{\epsilon_{0}} = \epsilon_{r} \rho_{v}\neq \rho_{v} ?[/tex]

Can someone help me with this?

Last edited:
ideasrule said:
To the contrary, the integral form of Gauss's law is easy to prove with Coloumb's law, and Coloumb's law can easily be arrived at from intuition. To begin, prove that Gauss's law is true for a sphere centered on a single point charge. Electric field decreases as the square of the distance and the perpendicular projection of the area subtended by a certain solid angle increases as the square of the distance, so the product of the two remains constant. QED.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, lol. Lewin did it in his lecture.

jeff1evesque said:
Gauss's law in differential form is,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \vec{D} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

We also know [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_{r} \epsilon_{0}[/tex], so it follows [tex]\epsilon[\nabla \bullet \vec{D}] = \frac{\epsilon \rho}{\epsilon_{0}} \neq \rho_{v} ?[/tex]

Can someone help me with this?

That's not the differential form of Gauss's law with respect to free charge. It is:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{D} = \rho_{f}[/tex]

jeff1evesque said:
Question:
Can someone remind me why the divergence of the electric flux is equal to the volume charge density,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \vec{D} = \rho_{v}[/tex] (where [tex]\vec{D}[/tex] is the electric flux density).

Thoughts:
The divergence measures the flow of a field out of a region of space. The del operator takes the gradient of the field, which measures the tendency of the field to diverge away in space (or the opposite). So when we take the divergence of the electric flux density, we are measuring how quickly the tendency of the flux to diverge in a given space. But how is that the volume charge density? Isn't charge density entirely different from the divergence of the electric flux?
Thanks,JL

I forgot to mention that [tex]\textbf{D}[/tex] alone is not the electric flux density. The vector [tex]\textbf{D}[/tex] represents the electric displacement field. The divergence operator gives you a scalar value that often is called the flux density. Hence, [tex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{D}[/tex] is called the electric flux density.

nickmai123 said:
I forgot to mention that [tex]\textbf{D}[/tex] alone is not the electric flux density. The vector [tex]\textbf{D}[/tex] represents the electric displacement field. The divergence operator gives you a scalar value that often is called the flux density. Hence, [tex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{D}[/tex] is called the electric flux density.
According to my notes, and this web-page, D is the electric flux density,
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Electric+flux+density?

Never mind, found my error, thanks for going along with the process.

jeff1evesque said:
Never mind, found my error, thanks for going along with the process.

Anytime. :-)

1. What is divergence of flux density?

The divergence of flux density refers to the measure of how much flux is entering or leaving a particular point in a vector field. It is a vector operation that involves taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. How is divergence of flux density calculated?

The divergence of flux density is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇. Mathematically, it is expressed as ∇ · F, where F is the vector field.

3. What does a positive or negative divergence of flux density indicate?

A positive divergence of flux density indicates that there is a net flow of flux out of the point being considered, while a negative divergence indicates a net flow of flux into the point. A divergence of zero indicates that there is no net flow of flux at that point.

4. What are the units of divergence of flux density?

The units of divergence of flux density depend on the units of the vector field being considered. In electromagnetism, the units are typically Tesla per meter (T/m), while in fluid dynamics, the units are commonly kilograms per meter cubed per second (kg/m3/s).

5. How is divergence of flux density used in practical applications?

The concept of divergence of flux density has numerous practical applications, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. It is used to calculate the flow of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the flow of fluids in pipes and channels. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.