1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of Point Charge

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    So I am playing around with the differential form of Gauss's Law:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Starting off simple with a point charge, the electric field is:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]

And the divergence, in spherical coordinates, is:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^2 E_r) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2} \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}} \right)[/tex]

[tex] = 0 [/tex]

I can handle this much. It makes sense that the divergence is everywhere 0, since the only charge density is a point charge. Griffiths has a discussion about this very thing, where he states that the infinite divergence at the origin causes things to work out as expected.

My problem is in dealing with a cartesian coordinate system. I didn't recall the divergence equation in spherical coordinates when I was first playing around with this, so I tried it in cartesian. Here:

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{ x \hat{x} + y \hat{y} }{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

But the divergence of this is proportional to:

[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} \propto \frac{-2}{(x^2 + y^2)^3}[/tex]

Which clearly isn't zero everywhere. I've checked my divergence and electric field equation, but I can't find the difference between it and the spherical ones I am using.

So, what gives? Is the divergence in spherical coordinates 0, but nonzero in cartesian?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't there a z axis in Cartesian coordinates? Add this and double check your divergence calculations. :smile:

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    Oh, yes, that would be it. I suppose the equations don't like it very much when you try to restrict the electric field from a point charge to a plane... :redface:

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook