1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of vector/tensor

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, trying to solve a problem in MHD, i realised i need to be able to take the divergence of this following integral, but I don't know how to do it.
    M is a symmetric rank 2 tensor, r is a vector.

The integral is as follows
    [tex]\int_{\partial V} (\textbf{r} d \textbf{S} \cdot \textbf{M}+d\textbf{S} \cdot \textbf{Mr})[/tex]
    I need to somehow manipulate this to get [tex]\int_V {\{\nabla \cdot \textbf{M})\textbf{r}+\textbf{r}(\nabla \cdot \textbf{M})+2\textbf{M}\}dV}[/tex]

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2011 #2
    The divergence theorem states that the divergence of a tensor or vector field over a volume V is equivalent to a surface integral of the inner product of the tensor or vector field with the surface basis vectors. So split the integral into the sum of two integrals and use the divergence theorem to prove the equality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook