1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence operator

1. Dec 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find the divergence of a vector field (a fluid flow vector), but the vector takes the form u = u(x,y,z,t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I only really know how to take the divergence of a time-independent vector, so I'm guessing I just take the partial derivatives with respect to x,y,z and hold t= constant...is that right?
    I am interested in knowing whether the divergence operator is even defined for time-varying vectors, or whether divergence is only defined for a given point in time.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2012 #2
    Del operates on spatial dimensions*. So yes, you just take the partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z.

*Unless otherwise specified.

4. Dec 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks very much.

5. Dec 24, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with DeIdeal. The divergence operator involves partial derivatives with respect to x, y, z and so t is treated as a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook