How do I derive the formula for divergence using a prism-shaped volume?

In summary, the formula div v = \frac{∂v_{x}}{∂x} + \frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y} + \frac{∂v_{z}}{∂z} can be derived using any shaped volume, as long as it is an infinitesimal volume. This is done by approximating the integral as v\circda, where v is at a point on the surface. While deriving it using a prism-shaped volume, it is important to take into account the orientation of the faces and use the approximation ##f(x+a) \approx f(x) + f'(x)\:a## to find the value of ##V_y(x, y-\
thatguy14

Homework Statement

In deriving the formula
div v = [itex]\frac{∂v_{x}}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂v_{z}}{∂z}[/itex]
we used a rectangular solid infinitesimal volume; however, any shape will do (although the calculation gets harder). To see an example, derive the same formula using the prism-shaped volume shown (figure attached). This could be a volume element next to an irregular surface.

Homework Equations

Definition of divergence

div v = lim Δτ→0 [itex]\frac{\int v \cdot da}{Δτ}[/itex] where Δτ = small volume and the integral is a over a closed surface bound Δτ

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am having some issue with this question. A thing to note is that we are approximating the integral as just v[itex]\circ[/itex]da where v is at some point on the surface. This is due to it being an infinitesimal volume.

The main problem I am having is I think I am making a mistake on the top face somehow. If you look at figure 2 which is my crude drawing to represent n it is then

n = (cos[itex]\theta[/itex] jhat + sin[itex]\theta[/itex] khat)

So then for the top face if h = the slanted side
da = hΔx(cos[itex]\theta[/itex] jhat + sin[itex]\theta[/itex] khat)
=Δx(Δz jhat + Δy khat) because h can be expressed in terms of sin and cos of the other sides.

so then v dot da = v[itex]_{y}[/itex](x, y, z)ΔxΔz + v[itex]_{z}[/itex](x,y,z)ΔxΔy

hopefully so far so good. Now for the other faces

bottom

da = ΔxΔy (-khat direction)

v dot da = -v[itex]_{z}[/itex](x, y, z-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δz)ΔxΔy

back(zx plane)

da = ΔxΔz

v dot da = -v[itex]_{y}[/itex](x, y-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy, z)ΔxΔz

so then when I put it all together and divide by Δτ = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ΔxΔyΔz

it almost looks like the definition of a derivative except I am left with a 1/2. What did I miss? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need me to clarify let me know.

Attachments

• Figure.png
    Figure.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 410
  • figure2.png
    figure2.png
    2 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey guys, I would really appreciate some help so if there is something I was unclear about let me know and I will try and clarify further thanks.

Note ##f(x+a) \approx f(x) + f'(x)\:a## for small ##a##.

Likewise ##f(x-a) \approx f(x) - f'(x)\:a##

Thus, how would you approximate ##V_y(x, y-\frac{\Delta y}{2}, z)##?

So

=[itex]\frac{[V_{y}(x,y,z)-V_{y}(x, y-\frac{1}{2}Δy,z)]}{\frac{1}{2}Δy}[/itex]
=V[itex]_{y}[/itex](x,y,z) - V[itex]_{y}[/itex](x,y,z) + [itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy) / ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy)
=[itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex]

correct?

Sorry for the poor formatting I am still getting used to this latex stuff

Yes, that's correct.

Likes 1 person
Okay thank you again!

What is divergence in physics?

Divergence in physics is a measure of how a vector field diverges or converges at a given point. It represents the rate of change of a vector field's magnitude with respect to distance from the point.

How is divergence calculated?

Divergence is calculated using the divergence operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇⋅. The divergence of a vector field F at a point is equal to the dot product of the gradient of F with respect to the position vector.

What is the physical significance of divergence?

Divergence is a fundamental concept in physics, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It helps to understand the behavior of fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and the flow of heat and energy.

What is the difference between positive and negative divergence?

Positive divergence indicates that there is a net outward flow from a given point, while negative divergence indicates a net inward flow. In other words, positive divergence means that the vector field is spreading out, while negative divergence means that it is converging towards a point.

How is divergence related to flux and Gauss's law?

Divergence is directly related to flux, which is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with a unit normal vector to the surface. Gauss's law states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the enclosed volume.