Divergence Problem: Solving for h'(r)

• Thread starter jmcgraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving polar coordinates and position vectors. The solution involves using the chain rule and product rule, and defining a function H(x,y) in terms of the radial function R(x,y) and a function h(r). The notation dr/dr is used as a "trick" to simplify the differentiation process, but it can also be thought of as a mathematical concept in terms of partial derivatives. The conversation also mentions using symmetry between x and y to reduce work.
jmcgraw
This problem has me stumped:

If [tex]r = (x^2 + y^2)^{1/2}[/tex], show that

[tex] div \left( \frac{h(r)}{r^2}(x \vec{i} + y \vec{j}) \right) = \frac{h'(r)}{r}[/tex]

My trouble is with mixing the polar coordinates with the position vector. If I write the above as

[tex] div \left( \frac{h((x^2 + y^2)^{1/2})}{(x^2 + y^2)}(x \vec{i} + y \vec{j}) \right) = \frac{h'((x^2 + y^2)^{1/2})}{(x^2 + y^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]

I can try to get from the left side to the right side by computing the partial derivatives, but when I started this it involved so much messy differentiation (double chain rule, quotient rule) that it just seemed like it wasn't the right approach, so I didn't even try it.

But even if I did, what would h' be if h is a function of two variables? I've never seent the notation f '(x,y), just directional derivatives and partials...

What I'm saying is, even if I did do all the messy differentiation and kept all my stuff in order, I don't see how I would be able to write an h'(r) in the end.

Where am I going off track?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
h is a function of one variable, in this case r. You could write h(10) for example. Remember when you differentiate it with respect to x or y, that for example d(h(r))/dx = d(h(r))/dr * dr/dx = h'(r) dr/dx

It doesn't get too complicated. The more you use the chain rule or product rule, the less trouble it seems like. Just work on one part of the expression at a time to save rewriting, and use symmetry between x and y to reduce work.

By the way, you probably shouldn't expand out r.

Last edited:
d(h(r))/dx = d(h(r))/dr * dr/dx = h'(r) dr/dx

This is exactly what I needed. I've seen that trick a handful of times, but I always forget it when I need it! :biggrin:

Thanks Orthodontist.

BTW, this reminds me of a side question. I call the above a "trick" because I think of it as multiplying the derivative by 1=dr/dr... But is that a mathematically precise way to think about it? (I'm guessing that it isn't.) If not, what is the mathematically correct way to think of this "trick"?

In other words, how would you get from d(h(r))/dx to d(h(r))/dr*dr/dx without thinking "hmmm... I'll multiply it by dr/dr"?? Because what is dr/dr anyway?

Thanks again.

Well, the easy answer is dr/dr=1..:biggrin:

A slightly more expanded answer is the following:
Let R(x,y) be the radial function, that is, the variable r satisfies
[tex]r=R(x,y)=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]
whenever r has the interpretation as a radius, and x and y are the associated Cartesian variables.

Let h(r) be some function of the variable r.
We may therefore define a function H(x,y):
[tex]H(x,y)=h(R(x,y))[/tex]
If we want to calculate, say, [itex]\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{x}}[/itex],
we simply invoke the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{dh}{dr}\mid_{(r=R(x,y))}\frac{\partial{R}}{\partial{x}}[/tex]

Many would regard the use of notations like H and R as unnecessarily pedantic, however I think it is rather enlightening to use, on occasion, a (somewhat) cumbersome but unambiguous notation.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Divergence Problem"?

The "Divergence Problem" refers to a mathematical issue that arises when trying to calculate the derivative of a function at a particular point. It occurs when the limit of the difference quotient, which is used to find the derivative, does not exist.

2. How does the Divergence Problem affect solving for h'(r)?

The Divergence Problem can make it difficult to accurately calculate the derivative, h'(r), at a specific point. This can lead to errors in solving for the derivative and can also make it challenging to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. What causes the Divergence Problem?

The Divergence Problem can be caused by a variety of factors, including discontinuities or sharp turns in the function, vertical asymptotes, or points where the function is undefined. It can also occur when trying to find the derivative of a function in terms of a variable that is not continuous.

4. How can the Divergence Problem be solved?

One possible solution to the Divergence Problem is to use a different method for calculating the derivative, such as the limit definition or the power rule. Another solution is to use numerical methods, such as the secant method, to approximate the derivative at the point of interest.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Divergence Problem?

Yes, the Divergence Problem can have practical implications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where accurate calculations of derivatives are essential for modeling and predicting real-world phenomena. It is also a common issue in solving optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.