1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence theorem again

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    Suppose [tex] D \subset \Re^3 [/tex] is a bounded, smooth domain with boundary [tex] \partial D [/tex] having outer unit normal [tex] n = (n_1, n_2, n_3) [/tex]. Suppose [tex] f: \Re^3 \rightarrow \Re [/tex] is a given smooth function. Use the divergence theorem to prove that

[tex] \int_{D} f_{y}(x, y, z)dxdydz = \int_{\partial D} f(x, y, z)n_2(x, y, z)dS[/tex]

I think I see how they might be equal but I don't know where to start as far as proving it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hint:
    Consider the vector function:
    [tex]F(x,y,z)=(0,f(x,y,z),0)[/tex]

4. Sep 11, 2005 #3
    While we're on it, I have another similar question. Say F:R^3 -> R^3 is a C^1 function, verifty that

[tex]\int_{\partial D} \nabla \times F \cdot n dS = 0 [/tex]

in two ways, first using Stokes theorem, then using the Divergence theorem.

By the way, I'm currently in vector calculus and at the same time first semester PDE. We don't cover the divergence theorem and such until way later into the semester. But our PDE book requires that you have some minor knowlegde of these theorems. And thats what our professor is having us do right now, especially for those of us that are currently in vector calculus.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?