1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence Theorem checks

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Folks, have I set these up correctly? THanks
    Use divergence theorem to calculate the surface integral \int \int F.dS for each of the following

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \int \int F.dS=\int \int \int div(F)dV[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) [tex]F(x,y,z)=xye^z i +xy^2z^3 j- ye^z k[/tex] and sigma is the surface of the box that is bounded by the coordinate planes and planes x=3, y=2 and z=1

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^3 \int_0^2 \int_0^1 2xyz^3 dzdydx[/tex] where [tex]div (F)=ye^z+2xyz^3-ye^z[/tex]

b) [tex]F(x,y,z)=3xy^2 i+xe^zj+z^3k[/tex] and sigma is surface bounded by cylinder y^2+z^2=1 and x=-1 and x=2

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_{-1}^{2} (3r^2) r dxdrd\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3y^2+3z^2[/tex]

c)[tex] F(x,y,z)=(x^3+y^3)i+(y^3+z^3)j+(x^3+z^3)k[/tex] and sigma is sphere of r=2 and centre 0,0

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2} 3p^4 sin(\phi) dp d\phi d\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex]...?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bugatti79! :wink:

yes, they all look fine :smile:

(was anything worrying you about that? :confused:)

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I proceeded. Here are 3 more trickier ones.

d) ##F(x,y,z)=x^2 sin(y) i+x cos (y) j-xz sin(y) k## and sigma is the surface x^8+y^8+z^8=8
    Dont know how to tackle sigma. I thought I could manipulate it using the equation of a sphere.

e) ##F(x,y,z)=x^4 i+x^3z^2 j +4y^2z k## and sigma is the surface of the solid that is bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes z=x+2 and z=0

##\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4x^3+4y^3)r dx dr d\theta=##

##\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4r^3cos^3(\theta)+4r^2sin^2(\theta))r dx dr d\theta##

where ##x=rcos(\theta)##, ##y=rsin(\theta)## and ##div(F)=4x^3+4y^2##

f)##F(x,y,z)=\frac{r}{||r||}## where ##r=x i+yj+zk## and sigma consists of the hemisphere ##z=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}## and the disc and ##x^2+y^2\le1## in the xy plane

This looks like its going to be tedious...? ##\displaystyle div(F)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}##...........?

Comments on above?

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bugatti79! :smile:
    erm :redface:

first, what's divF ? :biggrin:
    (i assume you meant 4x3 + 4y2zk and dz ?)

yes, that looks ok :smile:
    just keep going, it's quite easy and it'll simplify out in the end :wink:

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    ##div(F)=0##!! What does that mean physically and mathematically?

Not sure I follow..but should it be

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_0^{r \cos \theta +2} (4x^3+4y^3)dzdA## where ##da=r dr d\theta##..?

Thanks

7. May 11, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

mathematically, it means the integral will be 0

physically, it means F is a conserved flow
    my "zk" was a copy-and-paste error, it should have stopped at 4x3 + 4y2

and yes the dx (in dA) should have been dz

8. May 12, 2012 #7
    Thank you sir :-)

9. May 12, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are aware that this is just [itex]\nabla F= 2xyz^3[/itex] aren't you?

Your integral is just
    [tex]2\left(\int_0^3 x dx\right)\left(\int_0^2 y dy\right)\left(\int_0^1 z^3 dz\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook