Divergence Theorem for Surface Integrals

F)=3(x^2+y^2+z^2) Without knowing the equation for the surface, it is difficult to provide an accurate summary. However, the equations and attempts at solutions for all three problems seem correct.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Folks, have I set these up correctly? THanks
Use divergence theorem to calculate the surface integral \int \int F.dS for each of the following

Homework Equations

[tex] \int \int F.dS=\int \int \int div(F)dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]F(x,y,z)=xye^z i +xy^2z^3 j- ye^z k[/tex] and sigma is the surface of the box that is bounded by the coordinate planes and planes x=3, y=2 and z=1

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^3 \int_0^2 \int_0^1 2xyz^3 dzdydx[/tex] where [tex]div (F)=ye^z+2xyz^3-ye^z[/tex]

b) [tex]F(x,y,z)=3xy^2 i+xe^zj+z^3k[/tex] and sigma is surface bounded by cylinder y^2+z^2=1 and x=-1 and x=2

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_{-1}^{2} (3r^2) r dxdrd\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3y^2+3z^2[/tex]

c)[tex] F(x,y,z)=(x^3+y^3)i+(y^3+z^3)j+(x^3+z^3)k[/tex] and sigma is sphere of r=2 and centre 0,0

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2} 3p^4 sin(\phi) dp d\phi d\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex]...?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bugatti79! :wink:

yes, they all look fine :smile:

(was anything worrying you about that? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
hi bugatti79! :wink:

yes, they all look fine :smile:

(was anything worrying you about that? :confused:)

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I proceeded. Here are 3 more trickier ones.

d) ##F(x,y,z)=x^2 sin(y) i+x cos (y) j-xz sin(y) k## and sigma is the surface x^8+y^8+z^8=8
Dont know how to tackle sigma. I thought I could manipulate it using the equation of a sphere.

e) ##F(x,y,z)=x^4 i+x^3z^2 j +4y^2z k## and sigma is the surface of the solid that is bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes z=x+2 and z=0

##\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4x^3+4y^3)r dx dr d\theta=##

##\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4r^3cos^3(\theta)+4r^2sin^2(\theta))r dx dr d\theta##

where ##x=rcos(\theta)##, ##y=rsin(\theta)## and ##div(F)=4x^3+4y^2##

f)##F(x,y,z)=\frac{r}{||r||}## where ##r=x i+yj+zk## and sigma consists of the hemisphere ##z=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}## and the disc and ##x^2+y^2\le1## in the xy plane

This looks like its going to be tedious...? ##\displaystyle div(F)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}##...?

Comments on above?

hi bugatti79! :smile:
bugatti79 said:
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I proceeded. Here are 3 more trickier ones.

d) ##F(x,y,z)=x^2 sin(y) i+x cos (y) j-xz sin(y) k## and sigma is the surface x^8+y^8+z^8=8
Dont know how to tackle sigma. I thought I could manipulate it using the equation of a sphere.

erm :redface:

first, what's divF ? :biggrin:
e) …

(i assume you meant 4x3 + 4y2zk and dz ?)

yes, that looks ok :smile:
f) This looks like its going to be tedious...? ##\displaystyle div(F)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\frac{z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}}##...?

just keep going, it's quite easy and it'll simplify out in the end :wink:

bugatti79 said:

tiny-tim said:
hi bugatti79! :smile:

erm :redface:

first, what's divF ? :biggrin:

##div(F)=0##! What does that mean physically and mathematically?

bugatti79 said:
e) ##F(x,y,z)=x^4 i+x^3z^2 j +4y^2z k## and sigma is the surface of the solid that is bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes z=x+2 and z=0

##\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4x^3+4y^3)r dx dr d\theta=##

##\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \int_0^{rcos(\theta)+2} (4r^3cos^3(\theta)+4r^2sin^2(\theta))r dx dr d\theta##

where ##x=rcos(\theta)##, ##y=rsin(\theta)## and ##div(F)=4x^3+4y^2##

Comments on above?

tiny-tim said:
(i assume you meant 4x3 + 4y2zk and dz ?)

Not sure I follow..but should it be

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_0^{r \cos \theta +2} (4x^3+4y^3)dzdA## where ##da=r dr d\theta##..?

Thanks

bugatti79 said:
##div(F)=0##! What does that mean physically and mathematically?

mathematically, it means the integral will be 0

physically, it means F is a conserved flow
Not sure I follow..but should it be

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_0^{r \cos \theta +2} (4x^3+4y^3)dzdA## where ##da=r dr d\theta##..?

my "zk" was a copy-and-paste error, it should have stopped at 4x3 + 4y2

and yes the dx (in dA) should have been dz

tiny-tim said:
mathematically, it means the integral will be 0

physically, it means F is a conserved flow

my "zk" was a copy-and-paste error, it should have stopped at 4x3 + 4y2

and yes the dx (in dA) should have been dz

Thank you sir :-)

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Folks, have I set these up correctly? THanks
Use divergence theorem to calculate the surface integral \int \int F.dS for each of the following

Homework Equations

[tex] \int \int F.dS=\int \int \int div(F)dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]F(x,y,z)=xye^z i +xy^2z^3 j- ye^z k[/tex] and sigma is the surface of the box that is bounded by the coordinate planes and planes x=3, y=2 and z=1

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^3 \int_0^2 \int_0^1 2xyz^3 dzdydx[/tex] where [tex]div (F)=ye^z+2xyz^3-ye^z[/tex]
You are aware that this is just [itex]\nabla F= 2xyz^3[/itex] aren't you?

Your integral is just
[tex]2\left(\int_0^3 x dx\right)\left(\int_0^2 y dy\right)\left(\int_0^1 z^3 dz\right)[/tex]

b) [tex]F(x,y,z)=3xy^2 i+xe^zj+z^3k[/tex] and sigma is surface bounded by cylinder y^2+z^2=1 and x=-1 and x=2

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1} \int_{-1}^{2} (3r^2) r dxdrd\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3y^2+3z^2[/tex]

c)[tex] F(x,y,z)=(x^3+y^3)i+(y^3+z^3)j+(x^3+z^3)k[/tex] and sigma is sphere of r=2 and centre 0,0

Attempt

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2} 3p^4 sin(\phi) dp d\phi d\theta[/tex] where [tex]div(F)=3(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex]...?

Thanks

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical principle in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the field inside the surface. It states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the enclosed volume.

2. Why is the Divergence Theorem important?

The Divergence Theorem is important because it allows for the calculation of flux through a closed surface, which is a key concept in many areas of physics and engineering. It also provides a connection between surface integrals and volume integrals, making it a useful tool for solving problems in vector calculus.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. For example, it can be used to calculate the flow of a fluid through a pipe or the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding a charge. It also plays a crucial role in the derivation of important equations in physics, such as Gauss's Law.

4. What are the assumptions of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has two main assumptions: the vector field must be continuous and differentiable, and the surface must be closed and smooth. If these conditions are met, then the theorem can be applied to calculate the flux through the surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Divergence Theorem. It can only be applied to vector fields in three dimensions, and the surface must be a closed surface. Additionally, the surface must be smooth and the vector field must be continuous and differentiable over the entire volume enclosed by the surface. If these conditions are not met, then the Divergence Theorem cannot be used.