Divergence Theorem for the Curl

In summary, to prove the given result, you need to choose one component of the vectors and apply the Gauss-Ostrogradski theorem. By choosing the first component, you can prove that the first component of the LHS is equal to the first component of the RHS. This can be extended to all components, proving that the LHS is equal to the RHS. This integration can be done using the vector field and the cross product, simplifying the process.
meteorologist1
Hi, I'm having trouble proving the following result:

[tex] \int_{V} (\nabla\times\vec{A}) dV = -\int_{S} (\vec{A}\times\vec{n}) dS [/tex]

I'm not sure how I should Stokes' and/or the Divergence Theorem in proving this, or if you should use them at all. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the theorems of Gauss-Ostrogradski and Green are written with scalar integrands,so,to prove your statement,u'll need to pick only one component.
Chose the firstcomponent of the vectors.The LHS becomes:
[tex] \int\int\int (\nabla\times\vec{A})_{1} dxdydz = \int\int\int (\frac{\partial A_{z}}{\partial y} -\frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial z}) dxdydz [/tex] (1)

The RHS becomes:
[tex] \oint\oint (\vec{n}\times\vec{A})_{1} dS = \oint\oint (A_{z}\cos\beta -A_{y}\cos\gamma) dS [/tex] (2)

Look at the RHS from (1).Consider the vector field:
[tex] \vec{B}=:(0,A_{z},-A_{y}) [/tex] (3)

In the light of (3),the RHS from (1) becomes
[tex]\int\int\int (\frac{\partial 0}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial B_{y}}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial B_{z}}{\partial z}) [/tex](4)

,which,by the virtue of the famous Gauss-Ostrogradski theorem becomes:

[tex]\oint\oint (0\cos\alpha+B_{y}\cos\beta+B_{z}\cos\gamma) dS [/tex](5)

In the light of (3),the LHS from (2) becomes:

[tex]\oint\oint (0\cos\alpha+B_{y}\cos\beta+B_{z}\cos\gamma) dS [/tex] (6)

Looking at (5) and (6),we see that they coincide,therefore the RHS from (1) coincides with the RHS from (2),and by the means of the property of the equality relation,the LHS from (1) coincides with the LHS from (2),therefore the first component from the LHS of the equality which should hav been proven coincides with the RHS of the same equality.

Since our choice of components was arbitrary (we could have picked any component from the 3,we chosed the first),we can say:

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks. But is there a way to prove it without using the Gauss-Ostrogradski theorem? I haven't learned about it.

I can't see any other way to getting from a triple/volume integral to a surface one...If u've seen a method to do so,without taking into consideration the Gauss-Ostrogradski theorem/flux-divergence theorem,please let me know ASAP.
Listen,i'm not saying that i cannot be done in other way...I'm saying that i just do not see any other way...That's it...Maybe my math knowledge is not that wide as i like to think,but that's all i can do and say...

Daniel.

dextercioby,

I'm hesitant to question anything you say regarding math, as your knowledge seems formidable!

But...as the statement to be proven is written, does it even make sense? What is the meaning of a vector integrated over a volume? Or am I having an early senior moment? :-(

Never mind!

Last edited:
It has sense...Any tensor field can be integrated.In particular R^{3} is a manifold and vectors are tensors of rank one.Tensors are integrated on manifolds.
Besides,Stokes theorem involves vectors integrated on loops and open surfaces,which are again manifolds of smaler dimension.

Daniel.

jdavel said:
What is the meaning of a vector integrated over a volume?
Surface and triple integrals of vector valued functions are vectors defined by integrating each component function.

the integral of vector is also a vector , so

[tex] \int_{V} \nabla\times\vec{A} dV = (\int_{V} \nabla\times\vec{A} dV)_{x}\vec{i} +(\int_{V} \nabla\times\vec{A} dV)_{y}\vec{j} +(\int_{V} \nabla\times\vec{A} dV)_{z}\vec{k} [/tex]

my idea is prove each component of [tex] \vec{i},\vec{j},\vec{k} [/tex] in LHS is equal to that of RHS, than we can say the LHS = RHS

first, [tex] \nabla\times\vec{A} = (\frac{\partial A_{z}}{\partial y} -\frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial z})\vec{i} - (\frac{\partial A_{z}}{\partial x} -\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial z})\vec{j} + (\frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial x} -\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial y})\vec{kj} [/tex]

so, the z component of [tex] \nabla\times\vec{A} [/tex] is [tex] \frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial x} -\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] (\int_{V} \nabla\times\vec{A} dV)_{z} = \int_{V} \frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial x} -\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial y} dV=\int_{V}\frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial x} -\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial y} dxdydz [/tex]

[tex] = \int_{V}\frac{\partial A_{y}}{\partial x}dxdydz - \int_{V}\frac{\partial A_{x}}{\partial y} dxdydz =\int A_{y}dydz - \int A_{x} dxdz [/tex]

The z component of LHS is [tex] \int A_{y}dydz - \int A_{x} dxdz [/tex] , now prove the z component of RHS is equal to above...

RHS = [tex] - \int_{S} \vec{A}\times\vec{n}dS = -\int_{S} \vec{A}\times d \vec{S}[/tex]

what this integral do is sum up all little [tex] \vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S} [/tex] on a closed surface, we can compute the x,y,z direction of [tex] \vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S} [/tex] first, and put the integral signs back later..

[tex] \vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S} [/tex] is just and vector, and the cross product of this vector is simple:

[tex] \vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S} = (\vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S})_{x} \vec{i} +(\vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S})_{y} \vec{j} +(\vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S})_{z} \vec{k}[/tex]

[tex] = (A_{y}\Delta S_{z} - A_{z}\Delta S_{y})\vec{i} - (A_{x}\Delta S_{z} - A_{z}\Delta S_{x})\vec{j} + (A_{x}\Delta S_{y} - A_{y}\Delta S_{x}) \vec{k} [/tex]
the z component of [tex] \vec{A}\times\Delta\vec{S} [/tex] is [tex] A_{x}\Delta S_{y} - A_{y} \Delta S_{x} [/tex]

OK, [tex] \Delta S_{x} [/tex] is the surface area that point to the direction [tex] \vec{x} [/tex], that means it is parallel to the y,z plane, therefore,

[tex] \Delta S_{x} = \Delta y \Delta z [/tex], for the same reason, [tex] \Delta S_{y} = \Delta x \Delta z,[/tex] and [tex]\Delta S_{z} = \Delta x \Delta y [/tex]

[tex] A_{x}\Delta S_{y} - A_{y} \Delta S_{x} [/tex] become

[tex] A_{x} \Delta x \Delta z - A_{y} \Delta y \Delta z [/tex]

put the integral sign back and become:

[tex] - (\int A_{x} dxdz - \int A_{y} dydz) = \int A_{y}dydz - \int A_{x}dxdz = LHS [/tex]

after you done with the z component, you can argue that the x and the y component is also equal

Last edited:
since i did a lot copy and paste stuff here, there might be typo error... too tired to check...can someone check it for me

I finally figured it out... you have to use the Divergence Theorem along with the following two identities:
1) [tex] \vec{\nabla}\cdot (\vec{a}\times\vec{b}) = \vec{b}\cdot (\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{a}) - \vec{a}\cdot (\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{b}) [/tex]
2) [tex] \vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}\times\vec{c}) = \vec{b}\cdot (\vec{c}\times\vec{a}) = \vec{c}\cdot (\vec{a}\times\vec{b}) [/tex]

Let [tex] \vec{B} [/tex] be a constant vector. From the Divergence Theorem applied to the vector field [tex] \vec{A}\times\vec{B} [/tex], we have
[tex] \oint_{S} (\vec{A}\times\vec{B}) \cdot \vec{n} dS = \int_{V} \vec{\nabla}\cdot (\vec{A}\times\vec{B}) dV [/tex]

Apply the first identity to the right-hand side and the second identity to the left-hand side, and the B vectors come out of the integrals since they're constant. Since B was arbitrary, we get the desired result.

dextercioby,

"Besides,Stokes theorem involves vectors integrated on loops and open surfaces,which are again manifolds of smaler dimension."

Yes, but in every book I've ever seen, either the integrand is dotted with a unit vector of some definition (for example curl with a unit normal to the surface of integration, or a vector integrand is dotted with vector infinitesimal of the the integration variable (for example "F dot ds" for a line integral).

However, after thinking about it and reading the posts here, I don't see any ambiguity in notation where a vector is multiplied by a scalar infinitesimal and then summed, as long as the direction of the vector is constant. And that's assured by the fact that the vector can be resolved into its components.

On the other hand (since vincentchan invited us to proofread post #8) I'm pretty sure the notation in his first line is meaningless. That first parnthesis has to be inside the integral. Probably a typo!

Nope,no typo.He took out from the integral the unit vectors "i,j,k",it was natural to use a paranthesis to separate the scalar.

Daniel.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem for the Curl?

The Divergence Theorem for the Curl is a mathematical theorem that relates a vector field's curl to the flux of the field through a closed surface. It states that the integral of the curl of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the net outward flux of the field through that surface.

2. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem for the Curl?

The Divergence Theorem for the Curl is significant because it allows for the conversion of a surface integral to a volume integral, and vice versa. It is also a fundamental tool in vector calculus and is used in many different applications, including fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem for the Curl related to the Divergence Theorem for the Divergence?

The Divergence Theorem for the Curl and the Divergence Theorem for the Divergence are closely related, as they both involve the flux of a vector field through a closed surface. However, the Divergence Theorem for the Curl involves the curl of a vector field, while the Divergence Theorem for the Divergence involves the divergence of a vector field.

4. What are the applications of the Divergence Theorem for the Curl?

The Divergence Theorem for the Curl has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids through closed surfaces. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or a solenoid.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem for the Curl?

Like any mathematical theorem, the Divergence Theorem for the Curl has its limitations. It can only be applied to vector fields that are continuously differentiable and have a well-defined curl. It also cannot be used for surfaces that intersect or have sharp corners, as this can lead to incorrect calculations. Additionally, it only applies to closed surfaces and cannot be used for open surfaces.