Solving the Homework Puzzle: Finding Your Error with Surface Integrals

In summary: The bottom surface is given by $$z = 0.$$The top surface is given by $$z = 4 - x - y$$The side surfaces are given by$$x = 0$$$$y = 0$$$$x + y = 4 - z$$Those equations are not correct. The correct equations are:Bottom surface: z=0Top surface: z=4-x-ySide surface 1: x=0Side surface 2: y=0Side surface 3: x+y=4Also, you switched the order of integration. The correct order is:$$\int_0^4\int_0^{4-x}\int_0^{
goraemon

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the attached file.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem, flux / surface integral

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As you can see I got the question correct using Divergence theorem. But I wanted to make sure that I could arrive at the same answer using the standard method for surface integrals, so I tried the following:

Given S: x+y+z=4, bounded by the axes.
->dS = ##\sqrt3 dx dy##
-> the normal vector = ##\frac{i + j + k}{\sqrt3}##
SO, F * n dS becomes -> (6xy + 2z) + (y^2 + 1) - (x + y) dx dy
= 6xy + 2(4 - x - y) + y^2 + 1 - x - y dx dy

The region's bounds for the double integral is: 0 <= x <= 4, and 0 <= y <= 4 - x.

Solving the double integral gets me 280 / 3...which is inconsistent with the correct answer I got using Divergence Theorem.

Where did I go wrong? And sorry in advance for the less-than-stellar formatting.

Attachments

• div.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
You only integrated over one face. You have to integrate over the entire surface of the volume.

OK, now I'm really confused then. Because sometimes using the surface integrals get me the correct answer but using Divergence Theorem doesn't, and vice versa. Below is a VERY similar question that I solved correctly using surface integrals...and I can't for the life of me see what is substantively different between the problem I posted in the OP and the problem below:

Solve the surface integral of F*n dS, where n is the outer unit normal of S, and F = (x+y)i + (9x - z)j + yk, and S is the tetrahedron formed by the coordinate planes and the plane z + 2x + 2y = 8.

I found the correct answer via the following method:
dS = 3 dx dy.
n = ##\frac{2i+2j+k}{3}##

So, F*n dS = <x+y, 9x-z, y>*<2, 2, 1> dy dx = (20x + 3y - 2z) dy dx -> substituting z = 8 - 2x - 2y -> (24x + 7y - 16) dy dx

Double integrating the above over the bounds 0 <= x <= 4 and 0 <=y <= 4 - x gets me the correct answer of: 608 / 3.

So what is it that I did for the problem in the OP that was substantively different from what I did for the problem above? Why am I getting the OP's problem wrong, but this problem correct?

You didn't get the correct answer for the second problem either if the point was to get a result that's supposed to be equal to ##\int \nabla\cdot\vec{F}\,dv##. The divergence is equal to 1, so the volume integral is equal to the volume of the tetrahedron, which is 64/3, not 608/3.

goraemon said:
So what is it that I did for the problem in the OP that was substantively different from what I did for the problem above? Why am I getting the OP's problem wrong, but this problem correct?
I should add that you are doing the flux calculation correctly for the one face in both cases. The divergence theorem, however, says that
$$\oint_S \vec{F}\cdot\hat{n}\,dS = \int_V \nabla\cdot\vec{F}\,dV.$$ The integral on the left is over a closed surface S, so you have to integrate over the surface that completely encloses the volume. In both problems, you've neglected the contribution to the integral from the other three faces.

Using the divergence theorem for this problem is just fine.

$$\iint_S \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{S} = \iiint_V \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F} dV = \int_{0}^{4} \int_{0}^{4-y} \int_{0}^{4 - x - y} 8y \space dzdxdy$$

If you want to do it the hard way, you need to do each surface separately.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving the homework puzzle?

The purpose of solving the homework puzzle is to identify and correct any errors made while working on surface integrals. By finding and understanding our mistakes, we can improve our problem-solving skills and become more proficient in this area of mathematics.

2. What steps should I take when trying to solve the homework puzzle?

The first step is to carefully review the problem and make sure you understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, check your work step-by-step to identify any mistakes. If you are still unable to find the error, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

3. How can solving the homework puzzle benefit me in the long run?

Solving the homework puzzle not only helps improve your understanding of surface integrals, but it also develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to other areas of study and in real-life situations. Additionally, it can improve your grades and overall academic success.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when working on surface integrals?

Some common mistakes when working on surface integrals include misinterpreting the given information, using the wrong formula or theorem, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential errors.

5. Is it important to solve the homework puzzle even if I think I have the correct answer?

Yes, it is important to solve the homework puzzle even if you believe your answer is correct. It is possible to have the right answer for the wrong reasons, and by solving the puzzle, you can identify any errors and gain a deeper understanding of the concept.