Divergence Theorem Proof

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the divergence theorem in electromagnetic fields and waves. The book considers the outward flux through a closed surface, specifically an infinitesimal volume and a vector whose components are functions of x,y,z. The value of Bx at the center of the right-hand face is taken to be the average value over that face. The outgoing flux through that face is given by dΦR = (Bx + (dBx/dx)*(dx/2))dydz, where the term (dBx/dx)*(dx/2) is obtained from the Taylor expansion to first order. The conversation also discusses the use of the factor of 2 in this calculation and the location of the interval in relation to x
retupmoc
Im having a bit of a problem understanding the crucial part of the divergence theorem from Electromagnetic Fields and Waves by Lorrain and Corson. Ill try descibe the set up of the problem 1st and see if anyone can help me in any way before i continue with the electromagnetism course I am doing as i want to be comfortable with the vector algebra.

The book considers the outward flux through a closed surface, in this case an infinitessimal volume dx dy dz and a vector B whose components Bx, By, Bz are functions of x,y,z. The value of Bx at the centre of the right-hand face may be taken to ve the average value over that face. Through the right-hand face of the volume element, the outgoing flux is

dΦR = (Bx + (dBx/dx)*(dx/2))dydz

This is the bit I am puzzled at, i understand dydz is the area element and why its the x-component of the vector we use in the line integral but I am not getting where the "+ (dBx/dx)*(dx/2)" is coming into the scene. Any suggestions?​

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't it come from:
[tex] \frac{B_{x}(x+dx)-B_{x}(x)}{2} [/tex] which is indeed the average of the magnetic field over the interval (x,x+dx)...?

Daniel.

P.S.And the Taylor expansion to first order.BTW,it should be partial derivative wrt "x"...

Thats what I've seen elsewhere, how do i do the Taylor expansion? Yeah i know its a partial derivative but I am unsure how to do equations etc in my posts so can only keep it basic

Well,you can approximate the Taylor series to the first term:
[tex] B_{x}(x+dx,y,z)-B_{x}(x,y,z)\approx \frac{\partial B_{x}(x,y,z)}{\partial x} dx [/tex]

and i believe that's how it's done.

Daniel.

Thanks think I've got a better idea now

just the 1 more question. what happens to the factor of 2. If the average magnetic field over the interval is B(x+dx)-B(x)/2 then do the Taylor expansion, would that not make the x-component of the flux 1/2(dBx/dx)dV or is this only the outgoing flux through the right hand surface of the volume element, and the outgoing flux through the left side gives 1/2(dBx/dx)dV also

retupmoc said:
This is the bit I am puzzled at, i understand dydz is the area element and why its the x-component of the vector we use in the line integral but I am not getting where the "+ (dBx/dx)*(dx/2)" is coming into the scene. Any suggestions?

I don't have my copy of Lorrain and Corson handy... but is "B(x)" being evaluated at the center of the box or at a corner of the box of size (dx) x (dy) x (dz)? This might explain the factor of 2.

In addition, you are setting up an area-integral [which can be read expressed as a volume-integral].

Note that only the x-component flows through the area element dydz.
(In other words, the normal to that area element is along the x-axis.)

retupmoc said:
just the 1 more question. what happens to the factor of 2. If the average magnetic field over the interval is B(x+dx)-B(x)/2 then do the Taylor expansion, would that not make the x-component of the flux 1/2(dBx/dx)dV or is this only the outgoing flux through the right hand surface of the volume element, and the outgoing flux through the left side gives 1/2(dBx/dx)dV also

The interval is centered around x. The interval goes from x-dx/2 to x+dx/2.
The average value of the x-component of the magnetic field is just [tex]B_x(x)[/tex].

If you take the taylor series of [tex]B_x(x)[/tex] about x...
[tex]B_x(x+h) = B_x(x) + B_x'(x)h +...[/tex]

So you can plug in h=dx/2 or h=-dx/2 to get [tex]B_x[/tex] at the right hand surface or left hand surface.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem Proof?

The Divergence Theorem Proof is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between a closed surface integral and a triple integral over the region enclosed by the surface. It is used in vector calculus and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem Proven?

The Divergence Theorem is proven using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the properties of divergence and gradient. It involves converting a surface integral into a triple integral and then using the properties of divergence to solve the triple integral.

3. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is significant because it allows for the simplification of complicated surface integrals into easier to solve triple integrals. It also provides a link between the two types of integrals, making it a useful tool in solving various mathematical and physical problems.

4. How is the Divergence Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Divergence Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate flux, which is the flow of a vector field through a surface. This is useful in analyzing fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and heat flow. It also has applications in computer graphics and 3D modeling.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Divergence Theorem Proof?

Some common misconceptions about the Divergence Theorem Proof include thinking that it only applies to simple geometric shapes, or that it is only useful in theoretical mathematics. In reality, it can be applied to more complex shapes and has practical applications in various fields. Another misconception is that the Divergence Theorem is the same as the Gauss's Law, when in fact they are two separate theorems with different applications.