Non-compact Divergence Theorem: Is it Applicable to Scattering Problems?

In summary, the divergence theorem is a fundamental theorem of calculus in the first three dimensions, along with the 1D Newton-Leibniz version and the 2D Stoke's version. It allows for the integration of a higher dimension to be reduced to a lower dimension on the boundary of a compact domain. While some versions may require a compact domain, it is possible to apply the theorem to domains that have boundaries approaching pointlike sources or virtual secondary sources.
geonat
Are there versions of the divergence theorem that don't require a compact domain?

In my reference literature the divergence theorem is proved under the assumption that the domain is compact.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think divergence theorem require a domain that has "boundary", which is necessary for a "compact domain". Basically, divergence thm, along with the 1D Newton-Leibniz version, and the 2D Stoke's version, can be regarded as the basic thm of calculus in the first 3 dimensions. They apparently give a method of degrading an integral of a certain dimension into one of a lower dimension, with the latter be defined on the boundary of the domain of the former. Therefore, a compact domain should be sufficient to enable this process to happen.

Thank you for your reply.
I am working on a scattering problem, so part of my boundary lies infinitely far away. Moreover, another part of my boundary approaches pointlike sources, while yet another part of the boundary approaches virtual secondary sources on the boundary of the scattering object. But I think I got it right now.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the field within that surface.

2. What are the different versions of the Divergence Theorem?

The two most commonly known versions of the Divergence Theorem are the Gauss's Divergence Theorem and the Kelvin-Stokes' Divergence Theorem. However, there are also higher-dimensional versions of the theorem, such as the generalized Stokes' Theorem.

3. What is the difference between Gauss's Divergence Theorem and Kelvin-Stokes' Divergence Theorem?

Gauss's Divergence Theorem, also known as the Divergence Theorem in three dimensions, relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of the divergence of the field. Kelvin-Stokes' Divergence Theorem, also known as the Divergence Theorem in two dimensions, relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral of the curl of the field.

4. What is the importance of the Divergence Theorem in physics and engineering?

The Divergence Theorem is an important tool in physics and engineering because it allows for the calculation of flux, or the flow of a vector field through a surface, by integrating the divergence of the field. This is useful in many applications, such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. Some specific examples include calculating the electric flux through a closed surface in electromagnetism, calculating the volume flow rate of a fluid in fluid mechanics, and simulating fluid and smoke effects in computer graphics.