1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence theorem

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=37311&stc=1&d=1311093978.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can get the answer after applying divergence theorem to have a volume integral.

But how about about the surface integral?
    It seems the 4 points given can't form a surface.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't confuse a surface with a plane. The surface of the cube is all six of its sides

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those four points don't form a cube either. The problem doesn't imply that they do either. But the problem says a cube includes those four vertices, and that is enough to determine the cube. Presumably you knew that otherwise how did you apply the divergence theorem? It's the surface of that cube you need to use.

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't believe that Office Shredder meant to imply that it was a cube- he was only giving that as an example. His point was what you said- that every solid has a surface (not necessarily smooth) as boundary. Here, the surface is made of four planes.

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are addressing that to me, I was neither quoting nor replying to Office Shredder. The original post clearly refers to the cube containing those four vertices, not a tetrahedron, and the OP was apparently missing that when trying to figure out the surface.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Well, you know that a cube has 6 sides that are the same, so from the the information given you should be able to construct the cube from that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook