Divergence Theorem: Find Delta Function at Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the divergence of a given vector field and using the divergence theorem to look for a delta function at the origin. The individual has solved for the divergence and set up integrals, but is unsure about the limits of integration for phi and theta. After posting, they realize their mistake and provide a visualization of the problem to help others. There is also a question about the notation used in the problem.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Find the divergence of [tex]\vec v = \frac{\hat{v}}{r}[/tex]
Then use the divergence theorem to look for a delta function at the origin.

Homework Equations

[tex] \int ∇\cdot \vec v d\tau = \oint \vec v \cdot da [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the divergence easy enough: [tex] \frac{1}{r^2} [/tex]

And, really I have the integrals set up as well. But I'm getting hung up on my limits:

[tex] \int \frac {1}{r^2} d\tau = \oint \frac {1}{r} da [/tex]
[tex] \int_0^?\int_0^?\int_0^R \frac {1}{r^2} (r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi = \oint_0^?\oint_0^? \frac {1}{R} (R^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi [/tex]

These are easy integrals so my only issue is limits. To me it seems like Phi and Theta should be 2 pi. But I know that when we did integrals with hemispheres that the integration was from 0 to half pi. Though, I felt it should have been to pi there instead. Essentially, my issue is visualization of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
As soon as I posted this I realized my problem. So, imagining myself in the center of a sphere and my arm pointed out holding a paint brush as the r vector:

I spin 360 degrees painting a line all the way around. Then raising my arm and spinning again I paint a little more above the previous line. I keep doing this until my arm is 90 degrees and the top half of the sphere is painted. In other words I've painted half the sphere by increasing theta by pi over 2. To get the rest I can just flip the sphere and continue another 90 degrees. Meaning my integration is from 0 to pi for theta and 0 to 2 pi for phi.

It's kind of a weird visualization I guess but it helped me so I'm just leaving it here for anyone else stuck on such a problem.

Thanks anyway!

I don't understand your notation. On the left-hand side you have a vector field [itex]\vec{v}=\vec{v}(\vec{r})[/itex], right? On the right-hand side you have [itex]\hat{v}[/itex]. What is this? Usually it means the unit vector in direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], but then your vector field is not clearly determined. So what's the proper definition of your vector field to start with?

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field inside the surface. It states that the outward flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region inside the surface.

2. How does the Divergence Theorem relate to the Delta Function at the origin?

The Divergence Theorem can be used to find the Delta Function at the origin by taking the limit of the volume integral of the divergence of a vector field over a small sphere centered at the origin as the radius of the sphere approaches 0. This limit will give the value of the Delta Function at the origin.

3. What is the significance of finding the Delta Function at the origin using the Divergence Theorem?

The Delta Function at the origin is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics. It represents a point source or singularity in a vector field, and its value can be used to calculate important physical quantities such as electric charge density and gravitational mass density.

4. Are there any applications of the Divergence Theorem and the Delta Function at the origin in real-world problems?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem and the Delta Function at the origin have many applications in various fields, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to solve problems involving point charges, point masses, and other singularities in vector fields.

5. Is there a visual representation or geometric interpretation of the Divergence Theorem and the Delta Function at the origin?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem can be visualized as the flow of a fluid through a closed surface, where the divergence of the vector field represents the sources or sinks of the fluid inside the surface. The Delta Function at the origin can be interpreted as a point charge or mass located at the origin, with its value representing the strength of the charge or mass.