1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence Theorem

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1
    Let Q denote the unit cube in [tex]\Re^3[/tex] (that is the unite cube with 0<x,y,z<1). Let G(x,y,z) = (y, xe^z+3y, y^3*sinx). Verify the validity of the divergence theorem.

[tex] \int_{Q} \bigtriangledown} \cdot G dxdydz = \int_{\partial Q} G \cdot n dS [/tex]

I am not sure how to evaluate the right side. Any help would be good.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you've got six sides on your surface, right?
    Treat the contribution from each side separately.

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
    What would say..the first integral of the six look like? I just need one example.

5. Sep 9, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, let's look at the side x=1, 0<=y,z<=1.
    Here, the normal vector is +i.
    G(1,y,z)=(y,e^z+3y,y^3sinx)
    Forming the dot product between G and the normal vector yields the integrand "y".
    This is easy to integrate over the y,z-square (yielding 1/2 in contribution)

Okay?

6. Sep 9, 2005 #5
    Ok that makes sense. So in the end I add the value of each of the six integrals for the total value of the original integral, [tex]\int_{\partial Q} G \cdot n dS [/tex]?

7. Sep 9, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the way, is your book actually using [itex]\partial\Omega[/itex]? I'm more used to seeing [itex]d\Omega[/itex] or [itex]\delta\Omega[/itex].

8. Sep 10, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's correct.
    Remember that the integral operation has the additive property; this entails that you may split up the surface in an arbitrary number of sub-surfaces, calculate the individual contributions and then add the individual contributions together to gain the correct value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?