Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence, Vector Calculus

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    Got it. Thank you ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi there,

Looks a bit like homework, for which we have a nice template !

Is it allowed to simplify this exercise to a sphere with the origin at the center ? Because if it is about a cube with the origin way outside of the cube, things seem complicated to me...

In the simple case ##\vec r ## goes to ## \vec r'= {\rm \ ?} ## so that ## \vec h = \vec r'- \vec r = {\rm \ ?} ## and that you can subject to the divergence operation (from its definition) , I should hope ?

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3
    Its okay, I have sorted out my queries. But thank you. I didn't know whether to post this in homework as it is not technically homework, as Im doing it a while in advance so I was hoping more for general background information than for specifics on how to do the question. :)

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please don't delete the original post -- it makes the thread incomprehensible !

Was your answer ##3\alpha## ?

What kind of background info did you have in mind ?

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    ahh Im sorry- I just don't know how to delete the post.
    Kind of- I got the volume increase to be 1+divh, which is the same thing?

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, effectively you did by overwriting it. Perhaps you can restore the original ?

Relative, I assume. Sounds good. Can you underpin it ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook