Divergent nozzle problem (find velocity)

In summary, the problem is to determine the change in velocity across an ideal divergent nozzle with an inlet enthalpy of 1,204 Btu/lbm and an exit enthalpy of 1,203.91 Btu/lbm. The equation for this problem is delta v^2=(.09btu/lb)*(2)*(32.2lbm*ft/lbf sec^2)(778ftlbf/btu). After solving, the value of delta v is 67.15 ft/sec. However, the problem needs to be converted to SI units, which can be done using Google calculator. More information is needed to determine the value of v1.
eulerpi
Determine change in velocity across ideal divergent nozzle with inlet enthalpy of 1,204 Btu/lbm and exit enthalpy of 1,203.91 Btu/lbm

I know that delta v^2=(.09btu/lb)*(2)*(32.2lbm*ft/lbf sec^2)(778ftlbf/btu)

so: deltav^2=4509.29ft^2/sec^2

taking the sqrt deltav=67.15ft/sec

My problem is this: I need to convert the above problem to SI units

So far: (.21kj/kg)*(2)*(9.81m/sec^2)=4.1202

Any help would be appreciated!

Ken

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for starters, you want

h1-h2 = .5*(v2^2 - v1^2)

http://members.aol.com/ricnakk/th_nozz.html

Unfortunately for you, (v2^2-v1^2) is not equal to (v2-v1)^2. So I don't see how you can work the problem without more information, enough to determine v1.

As far as converting units, I like google calculator, for example

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=btu+%2F+pound&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=btu+in+joules&btnG=Google+Search

(you can click on 'more about calculator to get some more help).

The documentation isn't the best, but Google thinks of a pound as a mass, and a pound force as a force.

The default output of the calculator is the value of the input in SI units, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a divergent nozzle problem?

A divergent nozzle problem refers to the difficulty of finding the velocity of a fluid as it exits a nozzle that increases in cross-sectional area. This problem is commonly encountered in fluid dynamics and is important for designing efficient propulsion systems.

2. Why is finding the velocity in a divergent nozzle important?

Finding the velocity in a divergent nozzle is important because it allows engineers to optimize the design and performance of propulsion systems, such as rockets and jet engines. It also helps in understanding the flow behavior of fluids in different nozzle configurations.

3. What factors affect the velocity in a divergent nozzle?

The velocity in a divergent nozzle is affected by several factors, including the inlet pressure, cross-sectional area of the nozzle, and the type of fluid. Additionally, the shape and length of the divergent section can also impact the velocity.

4. How is the velocity in a divergent nozzle calculated?

The velocity in a divergent nozzle can be calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid remains constant throughout the nozzle. This equation takes into account the inlet and outlet pressures, as well as the cross-sectional areas of the nozzle.

5. What are common challenges in solving a divergent nozzle problem?

Some common challenges in solving a divergent nozzle problem include accurately measuring the flow rate and pressure, accounting for frictional losses, and dealing with non-ideal fluid behavior. Additionally, complex nozzle geometries and boundary conditions can also make the problem more challenging to solve.