Divergent series and the limit of the nth term as n approaches infinity

In summary, this conversation is discussing the difference between convergent and divergent series, and how rate of convergence affects the difference.
GeoMike
I'm looking for help with my conceptual understanding of part of the following:

1) If a series is convergent it's nth term approaches 0 as n approaches infinity
This makes perfect sense to me.

2) If the nth term of a series does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity, the series is divergent
Again, makes perfect sense.

3) A divergent series can have an nth term that approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. Thus #1 cannot be used as a test FOR convergence.
Here's where I'm thrown a little. I can follow the proofs in my textbook fine, and I think I see what they all suggest.
Essentially: The RATE at which the terms of a series approaches zero (assuming they do at all) is what really determines convergence/divergence -- am I understanding this right?

Thanks,
-GM-

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you're right. The sequence has to tend to zero fast enough for the sum to converge.

For example the sum of 1/n does not converge altough 1/n goes to zero, but too slowly, the same for 1/log(n). In fact as you know the sum of 1/n^s converges for all s>1 and diverges for s<=1 so this gives you an idea of how fast the sequence should go to zero.

GeoMike said:
Essentially: The RATE at which the terms of a series approaches zero (assuming they do at all) is what really determines convergence/divergence -- am I understanding this right?
Thanks,
-GM-

Not exactly, it is known that the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/tex] is divergent, while [tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] is convergent.
Both have terms which converges to zero, with the same "rate".
However, the last one is, of course, not absolutely convergent.

another example, sum((-1)^n/sqrt(n)) also converges, but again, not absolutely, actually we can put anything in the denominator with an n, even sum((-1)^n/n^(1/1000)) converges

Last edited:

1. What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is a mathematical series that does not have a finite sum. This means that as you continue to add more terms to the series, the total sum will keep increasing without ever reaching a specific value.

2. How is the limit of the nth term related to a divergent series?

The limit of the nth term in a divergent series is used to determine whether the series is divergent or not. If the limit of the nth term is equal to infinity, the series is considered to be divergent.

3. What does it mean when the limit of the nth term is equal to infinity?

If the limit of the nth term is equal to infinity, it means that the terms in the series are increasing without bound as n approaches infinity. This indicates that the series is divergent and does not have a finite sum.

4. Can a divergent series have a finite sum?

No, a divergent series cannot have a finite sum. By definition, a divergent series does not have a specific value that it approaches as the number of terms increases. This is because the terms in the series continue to increase without bound.

5. How can the limit of the nth term be used to determine the convergence of a series?

The limit of the nth term is used to determine the convergence of a series by checking if the limit is equal to a finite number. If the limit is equal to a finite number, the series is considered to be convergent. If the limit is equal to infinity, the series is divergent.