Divergent Series Proof

Homework Statement

Prove that the series diverges: [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use the comparison test, but I don't know what to compare it to. All I have done so far is change the terms to be in fraction form:
[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}[/itex]

Any clues on what to do next would be great. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Prove that the series diverges: [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}[/itex]

I'm trying to use the comparison test, but I don't know what to compare it to. All I have done so far is change the terms to be in fraction form:
[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}[/itex]

Try comparing with [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n+1}}[/itex]. Does that converge or diverge? How is it related to your original series?

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Look at the behavior of ## t_n \equiv \sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}## for large ##n##. It helps to write
[tex] \sqrt{n+1} = \sqrt{n} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{1/2} [/tex]