Divergent Series question

In summary, the Archimedean definition of divergence shows that if \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i} diverges to infinity, then so does either \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i} or \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i+1}. Additionally, an example is provided where \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i} diverges to infinity but \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i} does not.
BrownianMan
(1) Using the Archimedean definition of divergence, prove that if [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges to infinity, then so does either [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i+1}[/itex].

(2) Show an example where [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges to infinity but [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] does not.

So this is what I have for (1):

If [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges then for all N, there is a number m such that [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges for all [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. Then, [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | > 1[/itex] or [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | = \infty[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right |[/itex] will become larger than 1 at some point. There exists an m such that [itex]\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | > 1[/itex] when [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. This means that when [itex]k\geq m[/itex], [itex]x_{k} < x_{k+1}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }x_{k} \neq 0[/itex]. [itex]x_{k} < x_{k+1}[/itex] implies that either [itex]x_{k} < x_{2k}[/itex] or [itex]x_{k} < x_{2k+1}[/itex], depending on whether or not the series is alternating. So either [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i+1}[/itex], and we have a number m such that [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i+1}[/itex] for all [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i+1}[/itex] diverges.

Is this right?

I can't think of an example for (2). Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't seem to understand the first line of your proof, but I think that's my fault: I've never heard of the "archimedean definition of divergence", so never mind me.

But I wanted to comment on (2): it's always handy to think of the most extreme case, i.e. one where [itex]\sum x_{2i}[/itex] is zero, what's an obvious candidate? Use the left-over freedom to construct a divergence sequence.

Thanks.

Can anyone look over my proof and tell me if there are any logical errors?

1. What is the Divergent Series?

The Divergent Series is a popular young adult science fiction book series written by Veronica Roth. It follows the story of a dystopian society divided into five factions based on personality traits. The main character, Tris, discovers she is Divergent and must navigate through a dangerous society while trying to uncover the truth.

2. How many books are in the Divergent Series?

There are a total of three books in the Divergent Series: Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant. There is also a companion book titled Four, which tells the story from the perspective of the character Four.

3. Are there movies based on the Divergent Series?

Yes, there are four movies based on the Divergent Series. The first three movies follow the story of the books, while the fourth movie, Ascendant, was supposed to be a continuation of the series but was ultimately cancelled. The first movie was released in 2014 and the last in 2016.

4. Can the Divergent Series be read as standalone books?

While each book in the series has its own plot and storyline, it is recommended to read them in order as they build upon each other. The characters and events in the books are interconnected, so reading them out of order may cause confusion.

5. Is the Divergent Series appropriate for all ages?

The Divergent Series is targeted towards young adults and is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. The books contain some violence and mature themes, so parents may want to preview them before allowing younger readers to read them.