1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergent Series question

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    (1) Using the Archimedean definition of divergence, prove that if [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges to infinity, then so does either [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i+1}[/itex].

(2) Show an example where [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges to infinity but [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] does not.

So this is what I have for (1):

If [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges then for all N, there is a number m such that [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] diverges for all [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. Then, [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | > 1[/itex] or [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | = \infty[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right |[/itex] will become larger than 1 at some point. There exists an m such that [itex]\left | \frac{x_{k+1}}{x_{k}} \right | > 1[/itex] when [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. This means that when [itex]k\geq m[/itex], [itex]x_{k} < x_{k+1}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{k \to \infty }x_{k} \neq 0[/itex]. [itex]x_{k} < x_{k+1}[/itex] implies that either [itex]x_{k} < x_{2k}[/itex] or [itex]x_{k} < x_{2k+1}[/itex], depending on whether or not the series is alternating. So either [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i+1}[/itex], and we have a number m such that [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]N < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{i} < \sum_{i=1}^{k }x_{2i+1}[/itex] for all [itex]k\geq m[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i}[/itex] or [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{2i+1}[/itex] diverges.

Is this right?

I can't think of an example for (2). Any help?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    I don't seem to understand the first line of your proof, but I think that's my fault: I've never heard of the "archimedean definition of divergence", so never mind me.

But I wanted to comment on (2): it's always handy to think of the most extreme case, i.e. one where [itex]\sum x_{2i}[/itex] is zero, what's an obvious candidate? Use the left-over freedom to construct a divergence sequence.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks.

Can anyone look over my proof and tell me if there are any logical errors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook