• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Divergent sum

• Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date
Homework Statement
Evaluate ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1} {n} [(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+...+(\frac {n}{n})^{1.5}]##
Homework Equations
NIL
Evaluate ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1} {n} [(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+...+(\frac {n}{n})^{1.5}]##

Hello. So I'm solving this question at the moment. I know I'm supposed to find out the summation of this before being able to solve the solution:

##(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+... +(\frac {n}{n})^{1.5}##

However, I can't seem to find any AP or GP series in the equation above. There's no fixed difference between ##\frac {1}{n}^{1.5}## and ##\frac {2}{n}^{1.5}## and ..... as far as I can tell? Any ideas on how to proceed here? Thank you.

Last edited:

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Can you define the entire series? You cannot expect any answer if only two summands are given. This could be anything.

Can you define the entire series? You cannot expect any answer if only two summands are given. This could be anything.
Edited for clarity. Thank you.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Edited for clarity. Thank you.
Your parentheses don't match. It looks like ##a_n = n^{-\frac{5}{2}}\sum_{k=1}^\infty k^{\frac{3}{2}}##. But every ##a_n## is already infinitely large, so ##n## doesn't matter.

Your parentheses don't match. It looks like ##a_n = n^{-\frac{5}{2}}\sum_{k=1}^\infty k^{\frac{3}{2}}##. But every ##a_n## is already infinitely large, so ##n## doesn't matter.
Hi there, I think I might have edited it wrongly. What I meant was something like: ##(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+...##

Thanks

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Hi there, I think I might have edited it wrongly. What I meant was something like: ##(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+...##

Thanks
This only changes the power of ##n## to ##\frac{3}{2}##, but it is still a sum of infinitely large numbers. Each sequence member has a constant value ##n##, i.e. a constant factor. The rest is infinitely large. The limit ##n \to \infty## is irrelevant.

This only changes the power of ##n## to ##\frac{3}{2}##, but it is still a sum of infinitely large numbers. Each sequence member has a constant value ##n##, i.e. a constant factor. The rest is infinitely large. The limit ##n \to \infty## is irrelevant.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Firstly, my bad for not seeing the question properly, I edited it again as shown
Not sure what you meant by your reply above, but shouldn't I be using a formula for the summation for:
##\sum_{a=1}^{n} (\frac {a}{n})^{1.5}##

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Firstly, my bad for not seeing the question properly, I edited it again as shown
Not sure what you meant by your reply above, but shouldn't I be using a formula for the summation for:
##\sum_{a=1}^{n} (\frac {a}{n})^{1.5}##
Firstly we have ##\left( \frac{k}{n} \right)^{1.5} = \frac{k^{1.5}}{n^{1.5}}## and secondly a sum ##\frac{a}{N}+\frac{b}{N}+\frac{c}{N}+\ldots## where all terms have the same denominator ##N=n^{1.5}##. With the distributive law we have ##\frac{1}{n^{1.5}} \cdot (1^{1.5}+2^{1.5}+3^{1.5}+ \ldots)##. The second factor is infinitely large, regardless of the value of ##\frac{1}{n^{1.5}}##. But if every sequence member is infinitely large, the limit will be as well.

##\frac {1}{n^{1.5}}⋅(1^{1.5}+2^{1.5}+3^{1.5}+…n^{1.5})##
Ok, so from what I understand, the above equation will sum to 1 eventually? Thanks

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Ok, so from what I understand, the above equation will sum to 1 eventually? Thanks
This is not what I wrote. The sum isn't finite, there are infinitely many terms which sum up to infinity. The factor ##\frac{1}{n^{1.5}}## doesn't change that.

This is not what I wrote. The sum isn't finite, there are infinitely many terms which sum up to infinity. The factor ##\frac{1}{n^{1.5}}## doesn't change that.
Okay I think I do understand now. Since ##\frac {1}{n^{1.5}}⋅(1^{1.5}+2^{1.5}+3^{1.5}+…n^{1.5})## =## \infty ##,
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1} {n} [(\frac {1}{n})^{1.5} + (\frac {2}{n})^{1.5} +(\frac {3}{n})^{1.5}+ (\frac {4}{n})^{1.5}+...+(\frac {n}{n})^{1.5}]## =
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {1} {n} [\infty]?##

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Sorry, you have edited your question so often that I missed when you turned an infinite sum into a finite one. I thought you meant ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty k^{1.5}##.

If the sum is finite, things are different. Currently you have
$$
a_n = \frac{1}{n} \cdot \frac{1}{n^{1.5}} \cdot \left( 1^{1.5}+ 2^{1.5}+\ldots +n^{1.5} \right)= \frac{1}{n^{2.5}} \sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}
$$
I don't know a formula for ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}##, but it is obviously less than ##n \cdot n^{1.5}=n^{2.5}##, so ##1## is an upper bound for your limit. There are probably approximations for the sum. If it behaves like ##n^{2.5-c}## for some ##c## independent of ##n##, then the limit ##n \to \infty## will be zero. So all depends on how ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}## behaves.

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's not hard to get an approximate formula for ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}##. Just replace the sum with an integral. You should also be able to get a subleading term by approximating the error you make by doing that.

Last edited:
It's not hard to get an approximate formula for ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}##. Just replace the sum with an integral. You should also be able to get a subleading term by approximating the error you make by doing that.
Sorry, you have edited your question so often that I missed when you turned an infinite sum into a finite one. I thought you meant ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty k^{1.5}##.

If the sum is finite, things are different. Currently you have
$$
a_n = \frac{1}{n} \cdot \frac{1}{n^{1.5}} \cdot \left( 1^{1.5}+ 2^{1.5}+\ldots +n^{1.5} \right)= \frac{1}{n^{2.5}} \sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}
$$
I don't know a formula for ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}##, but it is obviously less than ##n \cdot n^{1.5}=n^{2.5}##, so ##1## is an upper bound for your limit. There are probably approximations for the sum. If it behaves like ##n^{2.5-c}## for some ##c## independent of ##n##, then the limit ##n \to \infty## will be zero. So all depends on how ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}## behaves.
Am I supposed to use the Integer Power Sum Formula here?
If so,
Is ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}## simply = ##\frac {n^{2.5} + (n+1)^{2.5}}{5}##?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Notice this can be seen as a Riemann sum. Just need to find which and then compute the integral.

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Am I supposed to use the Integer Power Sum Formula here?
If so,
Is ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^{1.5}## simply = ##\frac {n^{2.5} + (n+1)^{2.5}}{5}##?
Yes, that's what you get approximating by integrals. And it's not an equality, it's only a pretty good approximation to the sum.

Yes, that's what you get approximating by integrals. And it's not an equality, it's only a pretty good approximation to the sum.
So by evaluating it can I take the answer as the approximation? Or is there an accurate way to determine the value?
Notice this can be seen as a Riemann sum. Just need to find which and then compute the integral.
I searched up on Riemann sum and apparently it is a certain kind of approximation of an integral by a finite sum. This means I will integrate the graph ##y= x^1.5## from x=1 to infinity?

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So by evaluating it can I take the answer as the approximation? Or is there an accurate way to determine the value?

I searched up on Riemann sum and apparently it is a certain kind of approximation of an integral by a finite sum. This means I will integrate the graph ##y= x^1.5## from x=1 to infinity?
The Riemann sum is how you derive your power sum formula. If you draw your power sum as rectangles they are an upper sum for the curve ##y=x^{1.5}## and a lower sum for the curve ##y=(x+1)^{1.5}##. You integrate up to ##n## and average the two to get your formula. It's plenty accurate enough to use to figure the limit. Follow fresh_42's clues. If you want to be rigorous you can note that the true sum is between the area of the two curves.

Last edited: