How Is Object Distance Calculated for Image Reduction with a Diverging Lens?

• Thread starter DMOC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the question asks for the object distance that will result in a reduced image by a factor of 2.0. Using the thin lens equations and magnification equation, the image distance is found to be -7.2 cm. Adjusting the magnification equation and solving for the new image distance, the object distance is found to be 48 cm.
DMOC

Homework Statement

An object is 18 cm in front of a diverging lens that has a focal length of -12 cm. How far in front of the lens should the object be placed so that the size of its image is reduced by a factor of 2.0

Homework Equations

The thin lens equations:

(1/di)+(1/do)=1/f

The magnification equation

(hi/ho)=-(di/do)

f=focal length
di=image distance
do=object distance
hi=image height
ho=object height

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I do is plug in values for the thin lens equations and solve for di (do and f are given). I end up getting:

18/di=-2.5
di=-7.2 cm

So the distance of the image from the lens is -7.2 cm.

However, this is where I get confused. I could use hi/ho=-(di/do) but there are two unknowns (hi/ho).

The answer to this, by the way, is 48 cm. I don't know how to get to this, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know di and do, you could get the magnification at 18cm in front of lens. Adjusting the equation a bit, -(di/do) = 1 - di/f. -(di/do) is the magnification, and what they are asking for is the object distance for half the magnification; thus, set -(di/do) to half the magnification you got earlier and solve for di. Using that value of di, find the value of do.

Let's say your initial image height is [tex]h_i = h_0\frac{d_i}{d_0}[/tex]

Now you want to move the object to a new distance so that the new image height is half of this:
[tex]h_{i2} = h_0\frac{d_{i2}}{d_{02}}=\frac{1}{2}({h_0}\frac{d_i}{d_0})[/tex]

Now you have an equation with three knowns and two unknowns. But you should be able to use the thin lens equation to reduce it to one unknown. Does that help?

Thanks for the responses! I used the method that Gear300 proposed (I tried JaWiB's but I couldn't figure it out) and I got 48 cm.

1. How does a diverging lens affect the path of light rays?

A diverging lens causes light rays to spread out, or diverge, as they pass through the lens. This is due to the lens's shape, which is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges. As light passes through the lens, it is refracted, or bent, away from the center of the lens, causing the rays to spread out.

2. What is the focal length of a diverging lens?

The focal length of a diverging lens is the distance from the lens to the point where parallel light rays converge after passing through the lens. In the case of a diverging lens, the focal length is a negative value, as the rays are diverging instead of converging.

3. How does the object distance affect the image produced by a diverging lens?

The object distance, or the distance of the object from the lens, affects the size and position of the image produced by a diverging lens. The closer the object is to the lens, the smaller and more distant the image will be. As the object distance increases, the image becomes larger and closer to the lens.

4. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image created by a diverging lens?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point to create an image that can be projected onto a screen. In the case of a diverging lens, a real image is never formed, as the light rays are diverging. Instead, a virtual image is created, which appears to be coming from a point behind the lens. This image cannot be projected onto a screen.

5. How is the magnification of a diverging lens calculated?

The magnification of a diverging lens is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. Since the image produced by a diverging lens is always smaller than the object, the magnification is always less than 1. The negative sign for the magnification indicates that the image is inverted compared to the object.