1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diverging lenses

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The focal length of a diverging lens is -20 cm. Locate the object, given that the image is real, erect, and 150% of the size of the object.

2. Relevant equations
    (1/f)=(1/do)+(1/di)
    M=-(di/do)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i'm not really sure how a diverging lens forms a real image (i thought they could only from virtual since most of the images are on the same side) and a size that is larger than the original object. At first, I thought that the image would be inverted (negative magnification) since a virtual image would have a positive magnification (image is upright)...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a diverging lens revealed the image of the object is virtual, upright, reduced in size and located on the same side of the lens as the object.

You can form a real image from a diverging lens - but only by feeding it a converging beam from another lens (eg in a retrofocus wide angle camera lens)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook