Diverging Lens: Find Object Given Real Image & Size

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the focal length of a diverging lens is -20 cm and the object can be located if the image is real, erect, and 150% of the size of the object. The equations (1/f)=(1/do)+(1/di) and M=-(di/do) can be used to solve for the location of the object. It is possible for a diverging lens to form a real image, but only by feeding it a converging beam from another lens.
lha08

Homework Statement

The focal length of a diverging lens is -20 cm. Locate the object, given that the image is real, erect, and 150% of the size of the object.

Homework Equations

(1/f)=(1/do)+(1/di)
M=-(di/do)

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not really sure how a diverging lens forms a real image (i thought they could only from virtual since most of the images are on the same side) and a size that is larger than the original object. At first, I thought that the image would be inverted (negative magnification) since a virtual image would have a positive magnification (image is upright)...

Physics news on Phys.org
For a diverging lens revealed the image of the object is virtual, upright, reduced in size and located on the same side of the lens as the object.

You can form a real image from a diverging lens - but only by feeding it a converging beam from another lens (eg in a retrofocus wide angle camera lens)

I can confirm that a diverging lens can indeed form a real image, even though it is not as common as a virtual image. This occurs when the object is placed between the focal point and the lens, and the image is formed on the same side as the object. In this case, the image is larger than the object, which is known as magnification.

To solve this problem, we can use the thin lens equation (1/f)=(1/do)+(1/di) to find the distance of the object from the lens (do). We can also use the magnification equation M=-(di/do) to find the distance of the image from the lens (di).

Substituting the given values, we have (1/-20)=(1/do)+(1/di) and M=-(di/do). Solving for do and di, we get do=-40 cm and di=-60 cm.

Therefore, the object is located 40 cm to the left of the lens and the image is located 60 cm to the left of the lens. Since the image is on the same side as the object, it is a real image. The fact that the image is 150% of the size of the object means that the magnification is M=-1.5, which is negative because the image is inverted.

In conclusion, a diverging lens can indeed form a real image, and in this case, the object is located 40 cm from the lens and the image is located 60 cm from the lens. The image is also inverted and 150% of the size of the object.

1. What is a diverging lens?

A diverging lens is a type of lens that is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. It causes light rays to spread out or diverge, hence the name. It is also known as a concave lens.

2. How do you find the object given a real image and size using a diverging lens?

To find the object using a diverging lens, you can use the thin lens equation: 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens. Rearrange the equation to solve for o: o = (f*i)/(i-f). Then, substitute the known values of i and f to find the object distance.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge and intersect at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to intersect at a point. A real image can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image cannot.

4. Can a diverging lens produce a real image?

No, a diverging lens can only produce a virtual image. This is because the light rays diverge after passing through the lens, making it impossible for them to actually intersect and form a real image.

5. How does the size of the object affect the size of the image formed by a diverging lens?

The size of the object directly affects the size of the image formed by a diverging lens. If the object is larger, the image will also be larger. If the object is smaller, the image will be smaller. This is due to the magnifying or minifying effect of the lens.