Discover Diversity in New Hampshire at Girl Scout Camp

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, Gale found that there is a lot of diversity at this girl scout camp, with counselors from different countries and even different religions. Gale also found out that most of the girls at camp are gay, which is not terribly surprising given the all-girls setting. Gale found the experience of diversity to be refreshing and has already started to see the impact of this diversity on her life.
Gale
so, apparently at this girl scout camp... there's like... more diversity than probably anywhere else in new hampshire. most of the counselors are from other countries. loads of Brits, a few Spainiards, couple Russians, one's from Singapore, one from Israel... its nuts! and those are just the ones i know... and i don't know everyone yet. all the accents flying around... being an american... from New hampshire... is like... a minority at camp! its really wild. now, I've just found out that most of the girls i work with are also gay... while, not terribly surprising once you think about it... (an all girls camp afterall...) but still... i mean, I've lived in new hampshire ages... and seriously... if you've never visited... read your history book... we were founded by conservative puritians... and aside from the boom of redneck culture, we really haven't added any culture since we formed, (and I'm not saying rednecks have culture... but you know...) so its totally bizarre to realize that on this one premise, there's SO many different sorts of people... well... women. (there aren't any men of course... which by the way... is more frustrating than i'd've thought... and with also those lesbians around... well... we'll see what happens...)

anyways. its just really amazed me. i looked around the first day i was there, and i had no idea just how much diversity there'd be. its been a fantastic experience of course, because being a born-bread New hampshirite, i haven't been exposed to much, (most of what i have been exposed to is likely online anyway...) but its just especially surprising that i could find so much so near by.

Physics news on Phys.org
It takes all kinds to make a world, Gale, the more you get about the more
you will find how true that is, but you are enjoying your self i hope, how
about some pics?

diversitity

A Freudian slip?

Phobos said:
A Freudian slip?
Those lesbians are much harder to adjust to than the foreigners.

Gale, I went through exactly the same thing when I went away to prep school in Harrisville when I was 14. Not only was there an authentic guy from England, there were TWO, not one but TWO actual, living black kids!

In my home town you were one thing or the other: French Canadian, or British stock. You were Catholic ot Protestant. Black people ("Negros" was the PC term back then in the 1960s) only existed on TV. What a culture shock to meet two in the flesh!

I grew up in a place where I was 14 years old before I ever actually met a black person. I'm sure that must seem inconcievably strange to most people but that's the way it was.

The zoobster is dating himself big time :wink:

Gale if you think that's diverse try going to NYC sometime- and you'll be in for a real culture shock.

oh, i know it isn't as diverse as it gets. but it still amazes me. i knew a few black people when we lived in texas when i was very very young. but when we moved up to new hampshire, i remember it was such a big deal when a black boy moved to our school in 7th grade. as i got a bit older, a few more kids moved to our school. then i moved further north and west in new hampshire, and my high school had a grand total of maybe 3 black kids at any time, (many moved here, then moved away shortly after being made fun of so badly.) maybe 5 asians... japanese, chinese, filipino and korean... i think. and then that was about it. barely even many jewish kids at my school. and definately no one from another country or anything like that.

its just unbelievable to see this girl scout camp, back in the woods of the same town that i live in now.

the Girl Scouts accept people of all backgrounds...except atheists

how's that for trolling? :)

1. What is "Discover Diversity in New Hampshire at Girl Scout Camp"?

"Discover Diversity in New Hampshire at Girl Scout Camp" is a program offered by Girl Scouts of New Hampshire that promotes diversity and cultural awareness among campers. It aims to provide a safe and inclusive environment for girls to learn about different cultures and perspectives.

2. Who is eligible to participate in this program?

Any girl who is a registered member of Girl Scouts of New Hampshire and is between the ages of 5-17 is eligible to participate in this program. No prior camping experience is required.

3. What kinds of activities are included in this program?

The program includes a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, outdoor adventures, team-building activities, and cultural workshops. These activities are designed to promote cultural understanding and appreciation.

4. Is the program open to girls of all backgrounds?

Yes, the program is open to girls of all backgrounds. Girl Scouts of New Hampshire values diversity and inclusivity, and encourages girls from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds to participate in this program.

5. How can I register for "Discover Diversity in New Hampshire at Girl Scout Camp"?

You can register for this program by visiting the Girl Scouts of New Hampshire website and searching for the specific camp session that includes "Discover Diversity" in its title. You can also contact your local Girl Scout council for more information and assistance with registration.