1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diverting my students' interest

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    Hi guys , Im planning to create my own blog for the innovations on my science class so that I can share more ideas with my students, And to encourage them to read and visit other informative sites on the internet not only on social media. Do you guys think it is possible ? And is there any other ways that I could divert their focus not only on playing games or visiting their social media accounts.

Any suggestions is really a great help..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2016 #2
    Its going to be hard. Ideally you would look at news items that you can somehow link to physics.
    An example could be the Russia-Turkey situation in Syria a while back.
    Using basic information (which you should dig up in those cases) it was easy to find several inconsistencies in the story of both Russia and Turkey using kinematics. (Altitude of the russian plane was one example)

An idea could be to make it a team effort with other teachers at your school.
    That way you can quickly populate the blog as well as cater to individual students interest.
    Some would be interested in Biology, others in chemistry (because boom) and some are into maths.

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    I am also thinking that its really hard especially now a days where students are really hook into social medias, Your suggestion hepls me alot. :)

Its a team effort and hopefully we can make it in our school.

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4
    Be sure to document the process, you could write an insight on physicsforums that maybe motivates other teachers all over the world.

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5
    Yes, I will document it, and I will share it to all teachers :) I know it might be impossible for now but its not bad to start this idea :)

7. Apr 30, 2016 #6
    Sounds like a pretty decent idea. I take it your students are in high school?

Unfortunately though, i think unless students are truly motivated to learn and be curious about the world, it is very difficult for them to compete with entertainment and social media. Perhaps i've lost hope.

Conversely, i do believe that it is possible to cultivate this curiosity if you find a good angle to pitch your innovations on the blog.

Good luck! Be sure to share your successes/failures with the forum (including the blog itself) :).

8. Apr 30, 2016 #7
    Yup, they are high school students and at their age, they are really inclined with social medias especially on online games. Their time on studying lessen because of those temptation. That's why I want to maximize their use on internet not only for entertainment or games but also for their own learning.

9. May 2, 2016 #8
    You could have them program their own game based on physics..

10. May 2, 2016 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Any 'innovation' must be accompanied with evidence of improved outcomes. What outcomes are you using to evaluate the effectiveness of your innovations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted