Divide a large cube into 125 smaller cubes of equal size?

• Thread starter Madou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary, the size of each smaller cube can be calculated by taking the length of one side of the large cube and dividing it by the cube root of 125. To divide the large cube into 125 smaller cubes, you can use a mathematical formula or divide it into 5 smaller cubes along each side. All of the smaller cubes must have the same shape to have 125 equal sized cubes. This type of division can be useful in various fields and can also be a fun and educational activity.
Madou
Could somebody please tell me how can one divide a large cube into 125 smaller cubes of equal size? I can very well understand i can divide a large cube into 225 smaller cubes because 15*15=225. I just HAVE NO ideas. You?

Physics news on Phys.org

I am just guessing, but if a large cube is 5*5*5, would not that cube store 125 smal cubes on 1*1*1?

Oh, yes, 5*5*5 would be 125. You're right. Thank you. I just forgot its a cube, not a square! :)

1. What is the size of each smaller cube?

The size of each smaller cube would be calculated by taking the length of one side of the large cube and dividing it by the cube root of 125, which is approximately 2.08 times smaller than the original length.

2. How can I divide the large cube into 125 smaller cubes?

To divide the large cube into 125 smaller cubes, you can use a mathematical formula such as (L/5) x (L/5) x (L/5) = 125, where L is the length of one side of the large cube. This will give you the dimensions for each smaller cube.

3. Can I use any shape for the smaller cubes?

In order to have 125 smaller cubes of equal size, all of the smaller cubes must have the same shape. The most common shape for this type of division would be a cube, but you could also use other shapes such as a rectangular prism or a pyramid.

4. Are there any other ways to divide a large cube into 125 smaller cubes?

Yes, there are multiple ways to divide a large cube into 125 smaller cubes. Another method would be to divide the large cube into 5 smaller cubes along each side, resulting in 125 smaller cubes. However, this would result in smaller cubes of different sizes.

5. Why would I want to divide a large cube into 125 smaller cubes?

This type of division may be useful in various fields such as engineering or mathematics. It can also be used as a visual representation for understanding concepts such as volume and surface area. Additionally, it can be a fun and challenging puzzle or activity for children and adults alike.