1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divide Sphere

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    Hi a bit random this question, but I'm trying to divide a sphere into many equal shapes (round-ness isn't important). So far I've come up with a dodecahedron, 12 pentagons. This isn't enough of a division for my needs. Can anyone give me the names of geometric shapes that have more divisions please. I found an image of a hexadecagon, but this only showed the divisions for a circle, so I could see the spherical division shape. I hope I've made enough sense for someone to understand what I'm after. It's not homework by the way.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's really hard for me to guess your meaning. You're looking for a shape of some kind, one with many sides, I take it. But I don't know what "divisions for a circle" means, nor "spherical division shape".

If your solid needs to be regular, the only step up from a dodecahedron to a "rounder" figure is an icosahedron, a 20-sided figure with triangles for faces. If you want the individual faces to be as "round" as possible, then a dodecahedron is the best regular solid; the others have triangles or squares as faces.

If you don't need the solid to be regular, you can have as many faces as you want. A myriahedron is possible, if desired...

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook