Indeterminate Forms in Limits: Can Dividing by Itself Equal 1?

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of indeterminate forms in mathematics, specifically in regards to limits of functions. It is explained that operations such as dividing infinity by infinity or zero by zero are not well defined and require further analysis to determine the limit. This concept is also seen in quantum mechanics, but it is not simply a matter of canceling out infinities with division. The conversation ends with a joke about singer Joan Baez and physicist John Baez possibly being related.
The Rev
Is it a reasonable statement to say either:

1) [tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty} = 1[/tex] ?

2) [tex]\frac{0}{0} = 1[/tex] ?

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No. Those are not well defined operations, and infinity is not a number. In classical analysis this problem is dealt with by considering limits.
Such as
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
in the case when if f and g both go to 0 (or infinity) as x goes to a
further analysis is needed to decide the limit
These are called indeterminate forms since the rule about a limit of a combination of functions being equal to the individual limits combined the same way does not apply.
There are several forms of indeterminate forms that commonly occur
0/0
infinity/infinity
0^0
1^infinity
infinity-infinity
0*infinity
1/0-1/0

Is this how they cancel out infinities in renormalization in QM?

Is what how they canceled out infinities in renormalization? WIth infinite stuff physicists can and do simply ignore things (nothing to do with cancelling), and annoyingly it all seems to work. Hre is a link explaining it in non-specific language:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/renormalization.html

Well, he lost me at Lagrangian, but I did get the feeling that renormalization isn't about cancelling out infinities with simple division. (I know nothing of this higher level math, yet.)

I was impressed, however, that singer Joan Baez is also an expert on Quantum Mechanics.

[tex]\psi[/tex]

gosh, i bet jon's never head that one before. if i ever bump itno him again i'll be sure to pass on the joke.

matt grime said:
gosh, i bet jon's never head that one before. if i ever bump itno him again i'll be sure to pass on the joke.
I think they're cousins.

1. What is the meaning of "divided by itself equals 1?"

When a number is divided by itself, the result is always 1. This is because division is the inverse operation of multiplication, and any number multiplied by its reciprocal (1 over itself) will result in 1.

2. Why is "divided by itself equals 1" considered a mathematical identity?

"Divided by itself equals 1" is considered a mathematical identity because it holds true for any number, including fractions, decimals, and even negative numbers. It is a fundamental property of numbers and is always true, regardless of the value of the number being divided.

3. Can any number be divided by 0 to equal 1?

No, dividing by 0 is undefined and cannot equal any number, including 1. This is because division by 0 results in an infinite answer, which is not a valid numerical value.

4. How does the concept of "divided by itself equals 1" relate to solving equations?

When solving equations, we use inverse operations to isolate a variable. In cases where the variable is being divided by itself, the inverse operation would be multiplication by its reciprocal, which is 1. This shows the connection between "divided by itself equals 1" and solving equations.

5. Is there a real-life application of "divided by itself equals 1?"

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this concept. For example, when calculating unit rates or finding the percentage of a number, we use division and the result is often 1. It is also used in advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus and complex numbers.