Division By Infinity: Is It Defined?

• Thread starter unchained1978
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: Undefined" is what you would write in a table of values.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of division by infinity and whether or not it is defined. The participants mention the extended real number system and projective complex numbers as examples of where infinity is used in mathematics. They also discuss the properties and rules that apply when dealing with infinity, such as the commutative law and L'Hopital's Rule. Ultimately, it is agreed upon that division by infinity is considered indeterminate or undefined in most cases.
unchained1978
I was just thinking about how division by zero is undefined and began wondering if dividing by infinity is undefined as well. I understand the limits that accompany this idea [PLAIN]http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP194219b2befa7461g38e00003i7ih720ai6i1egc?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=38&w=66&h=36 and everywhere I look its defined as 0 but I came up with a little contradiction so to speak as follows
Assume these to be true:
A[itex]\neq[/itex]0
[itex]\frac{A}{\infty}[/itex]=0
Then,
[itex]\frac{1}{\infty}=\frac{0}{A}[/itex]
1=[itex]\frac{\infty*0}{A}[/itex]=0
1=0

Can someone explain this to me and why division by ##\infty## is 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, zero times infinity is not zero. That's why you got 1=0 wrongly!

Also note that in "common" mathematics, you cannot use infinity as an object that you plug in into equation. Writing infinity is a concept, but it is not a valid number. When people write [itex]\ldots=\infty[/itex] they mean: "Please translate this statement into the definition of limits with all these [itex]\varepsilon[/itex].

Maybe someone can point out the extensions of mathematics where you are allowed to use infinity? Maybe it's not possible without violating the known algebra? I mean if we see
[tex]a\cdot 0[/tex] we know the result is zero, whatever the value of a. But this fundamental general rule might be broken, if you introduce infinities?

Gerenuk said:
Maybe someone can point out the extensions of mathematics where you are allowed to use infinity?
The extended real number system that is commonly used in real analysis, for example. Also, the projective complex numbers which are used extensively in complex analysis.

Cardinal and ordinal numbers have infinite elements, but poor arithmetic properties.

Hurkyl said:
The extended real number system that is commonly used in real analysis, for example. Also, the projective complex numbers which are used extensively in complex analysis.
And which properties do you lose with that?
Is it still true that [itex]a\cdot 0=0[/itex] for any [itex]a[/itex]?
But this would be in conflict with
[tex]1=\frac{1}{\infty}\cdot\infty=0\cdot\infty=0[/tex]
?

I'm completely sure:
Which of the rules isn't valid:
[tex]a^{-1}\cdot a=1[/tex]
[tex]0\cdot a=0[/tex]
? Does it mention it on the webpage?

Yes, it does. If a = ±∞, both are undefined, although the latter is sometimes defined for convenience as 0 in real analysis.

Tedjn said:
Yes, it does. If a = ±∞, both are undefined, although the latter is sometimes defined for convenience as 0 in real analysis.
So are you saying the above rules are not generally valid, but demand that the variable isn't infinity?

That's different to normal calculations, where you can be sure the rules work no matter what the value of the variables are?

As far as I know, yes. Note also though that infinity is not the only place trouble occurs. The first rule you mentioned doesn't hold when a = 0 either. Of course, there may be other ways to define arithmetic on the extended reals, but everything is a product of how we define them.

Gerenuk said:
So are you saying the above rules are not generally valid, but demand that the variable isn't infinity?

That's different to normal calculations, where you can be sure the rules work no matter what the value of the variables are?
Operations usually don't work on everything, it isn't strange at all. For example you can't use the inner product between vectors of different size.
"That's different to normal calculations, where you can be sure the rules work no matter what the value of the variables are?"
In normal calculations is 0/0=1 ? No, not without ruining associativity, so it doesn't hold for normal calculations either.

Gerenuk said:
There is no such thing as an arithmetic identity that works no matter what the variables are (except for the trivial identity where both sides are identical text).

e.g. the commutative law you learned in elementary school:
x * y = y * x​
comes with the condition that the two letter variables are supposed to be real numbers, and the remaining variable (*) is supposed to be real number multiplication.

n.karthick said:
Hmmm, zero times infinity is not zero. That's why you got 1=0 wrongly!

Yep. About an hour after posting I realized that 0*[tex]\infty[/tex] is indeterminate.

So what will be the correct expression for "Infinity/infinity"? Will it be Undefined? Thanks,

ronm said:
So what will be the correct expression for "Infinity/infinity"? Will it be Undefined? Thanks,

analysts perfer the term "indeterminate". ∞ is not a real number, but can crop up in various limit processes. depending on the circumstances, the value of a limit that is ∞/∞ could be anything (there is a special rule called L'Hopital's Rule for dealing with some of these situations).

in fact, since we might imagine one ∞, why not two (a more infinite infinity), or three, or...an infinite number, each with its own peculiarities? since all of these would be "not-finite", when trying to figure out what ∞/∞ might be, one becomes uncertain as to which infinity is being divided by which other one.

you see, that's one trouble with ∞. with a finite number, we have a clear idea "which" number it is: that number, and no other. it's hard to make a claim that ∞ is quite so definite, that there is ONLY one, and that it always behaves in a very predictable way. for example: we know that for a finite number x, x and x+1 are not the same. are ∞ and ∞+1 the same? what do you think?

Deveno said:
analysts perfer the term "indeterminate".
No, analysis also prefer "undefined" for talking about this arithmetic operation.

But calculus often talks about forms, and "indeterminate" would be correct term for the limit form written that way.

1. What is division by infinity?

Division by infinity is a mathematical operation that involves dividing a number by an infinitely large value. It is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to represent limits and asymptotes.

2. Is division by infinity defined?

No, division by infinity is not defined in the traditional sense. Since infinity is not a number, it cannot be used in division as a divisor. Instead, it is used as a concept to represent approaching a limit or an infinitely large value.

3. Can division by infinity result in a specific value?

No, division by infinity does not result in a specific value. It is often used to represent an undefined or infinite result, such as in the case of dividing by zero.

4. How is division by infinity used in mathematics?

Division by infinity is used in various areas of mathematics, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also used to represent asymptotic behavior in functions, where the value of the function approaches infinity as the input value approaches a certain value.

5. Are there any practical applications of division by infinity?

Yes, there are practical applications of division by infinity in areas such as physics and engineering. For example, in calculus, division by infinity is used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change, which is essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems.