What is the correct way to divide complex polynomials in two steps?

In summary, the problem is to simplify the expression (3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y+3)^2. After finding the least common denominator of (y+3)^2, the expression can be simplified to (3y^2 + 4y - 7)/(y+3)^2. Further simplification leads to the final answer of (y-1)(3y+7)/(y+3)^2.
iamjon.smith

Homework Statement

(3y-2/y+3) - (3y+1)/(y2+6y-9)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I have attempted to solve in 2 steps, step 1: solve 3y-2/y+3 step 2: solve 3y+1/y2+6y-9 and then subtract the answers. This doesn't seem to work, as I get:

3y-2/y+3 = 3 remainder 11
and
3y+1/y2+6y-9 = 3y+1/(y-3)(y-3)
*y2+6y-9 simplified = (y-3)(y-3)

so final answer I got was 3r11-[(3y+1)/(y-3)(y-3)], which doesn't make sense. I think I am approaching the problem wrong, please provide some direction...

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, "dividing polynomials" is not relevant here. This is a problem in subtracting fractions- and you need to get a common denominator.
The denominator of the first fraction is y+ 3 and the denominator of the second fraction is [itex]y^2+6y- 9[/itex]. That is NOT (y- 3)(y- 3). If you were to multiply y-3 by y- 3 you would get [itex]y^2- 6y+ 9[/itex]- the signs are wrong. In fact, if we were to "complete the square" we would get [itex]y^2+ 6y+ 9- 9- 9= (y+ 3)^2- 18= (y+3- 3\sqrt{2})(y+ 3+ 3\sqrt{2})[/itex]. In any case that has no factors in common with x+ 3 so you need to multiply the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]x^2+ 6x- 9[/itex] and numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x+ 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean with "solve"? There is no equation you could solve.
Simplify? Then I don't understand your approach. Writing the second denominator as product is a good start (but check the signs)

Where do remainders come from? Division in the complex numbers does not have or need that concept.

iamjon.smith said:

Homework Statement

(3y-2/y+3) - (3y+1)/(y2+6y-9)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I have attempted to solve in 2 steps, step 1: solve 3y-2/y+3 step 2: solve 3y+1/y2+6y-9 and then subtract the answers. This doesn't seem to work, as I get:

3y-2/y+3 = 3 remainder 11
and
3y+1/y2+6y-9 = 3y+1/(y-3)(y-3)
*y2+6y-9 simplified = (y-3)(y-3)

so final answer I got was 3r11-[(3y+1)/(y-3)(y-3)], which doesn't make sense. I think I am approaching the problem wrong, please provide some direction...

You write
[tex] \left( 3y - \frac{2}{y} +3 \right) - \frac{3y+1}{y^2 + 6y - 9}[/tex]
Do you mean that, or did you mean
[tex] \frac{3y - 2}{y+3} -\frac{3y+1}{y^2 + 6y - 9} \:? [/tex]
If you meant the latter, use parentheses, like this: (3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y^2 + 6y - 9).

Anyway, ##y^2 + 6y - 9 \neq (y-3)^2##. Are you sure you have copied out the problem correctly? The version you wrote does NOT simplify at all, but just becomes messier as you do more work on it.

Likes iamjon.smith
My apologies to everyone that has attempted this so far, I transcribed the problem wrong, here is the actual problem:

(3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y^2 + 6y + 9)

In the original problem, I placed the parenthesis wrong AND put the wrong sign in one place...I am very sorry and need help with this corrected problem...

in which simplifying (y^2+6y+9) = (y+3)^2

Ray Vickson said:
You write
[tex] \left( 3y - \frac{2}{y} +3 \right) - \frac{3y+1}{y^2 + 6y - 9}[/tex]
Do you mean that, or did you mean
[tex] \frac{3y - 2}{y+3} -\frac{3y+1}{y^2 + 6y - 9} \:? [/tex]
If you meant the latter, use parentheses, like this: (3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y^2 + 6y - 9).

Anyway, ##y^2 + 6y - 9 \neq (y-3)^2##. Are you sure you have copied out the problem correctly? The version you wrote does NOT simplify at all, but just becomes messier as you do more work on it.

Thanks, you caught where I copied the problem wrong, and where I misused the parenthesis, it was the latter, with +9 instead of -9!

With the problem copied correctly and reworked, I came up with:

(3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y+3)^2

(y+3)^2 LCD

(y+3)(3y-2) = 3y^2-2y+9y-6 =3y^2+7y-6

so now the problem has been simplified to:

(3y^2+7y-6)/(y+3)^2 - (3y+1)/(y+3)^2

(3y^2 + 7y - 6 - 3y -1)/(y+3)^2

(3y^2 + 4y - 7)/(y+3)^2

(y-1)(3y+7)/(y+3)^2 :correct answer??

iamjon.smith said:
With the problem copied correctly and reworked, I came up with:

(3y-2)/(y+3) - (3y+1)/(y+3)^2

(y+3)^2 LCD

(y+3)(3y-2) = 3y^2-2y+9y-6 =3y^2+7y-6

so now the problem has been simplified to:

(3y^2+7y-6)/(y+3)^2 - (3y+1)/(y+3)^2

(3y^2 + 7y - 6 - 3y -1)/(y+3)^2

(3y^2 + 4y - 7)/(y+3)^2

(y-1)(3y+7)/(y+3)^2 :correct answer??

Yes.

What are complex polynomials?

Complex polynomials are algebraic expressions that contain variables raised to any positive integer power and can have complex coefficients. They are used to represent functions and solve various mathematical problems.

How do you divide complex polynomials?

To divide complex polynomials, you need to use long division or synthetic division. Both methods involve dividing the highest degree terms of the polynomials, then bringing down the next term and repeating the process until there are no more terms left to bring down.

What is the remainder when dividing complex polynomials?

The remainder when dividing complex polynomials is the term left over after the division process is complete. It can be expressed as a fraction or a decimal, depending on the problem.

Can you use the same rules for dividing real polynomials when dividing complex polynomials?

Yes, the same rules for dividing real polynomials apply when dividing complex polynomials. The only difference is that the coefficients and variables may be complex numbers instead of real numbers.

Why is it important to understand how to divide complex polynomials?

Understanding how to divide complex polynomials is important because it is a fundamental skill in algebra and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It also helps in simplifying and solving complex equations and problems.